Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer | Book Review

Into the Wild


What a read!!! 

Before anything, I need to tell you all how much I LOVED this book - it is one that I will treasure not only on my ever growing and caving bookshelf, but also in my heart, for life. 

I received this book as a birthday gift from one of my good friends, Adrian. 

I had been intrigued by this book for some time, considering it was a beautiful mixture of adventure, travel, freedom and mystery combined! I also knew that it had been made into a film but I'd been desperately trying to avoid watching it as I try to always read the books beforehand.

There are so many beautiful aspects of this book, from the gorgeous excerpts from other books that start off every chapter, to the riveting and inspiring quotes and messages you pick up throughout the pages all the way to the fact that there are SO many different opinions about this book!

This book riled up so much controversy, as most true stories do. 



In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a party of moose hunters. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild.

Immediately after graduating from college in 1991, McCandless had roamed through the West and Southwest on a vision quest like those made by his heroes Jack London and John Muir. In the Mojave Desert he abandoned his car, stripped it of its license plates, and burned all of his cash. He would give himself a new name, Alexander Supertramp, and , unencumbered by money and belongings, he would be free to wallow in the raw, unfiltered experiences that nature presented. Craving a blank spot on the map, McCandless simply threw the maps away. Leaving behind his desperate parents and sister, he vanished into the wild.

 Blurb taken from: Here

Many believed that Chris McCandless was a mad man, hellbent on self-destruction. A nutter that set off 'into the wild,' knowing full well that he'd never return. A suicidal, arrogant and naive little 'boy'. 

Well... I beg to differ. 

To me, McCandless was so easy to relate to in many ways. 
There was one major difference though... I could sit and daydream all day long about packing a small backpack with the essentials, breaking free and wandering off into the great unknown.. hell, I DO sit and daydream about it endlessly! The difference with McCandless however, is that he had the balls to actually do it. 

That fact makes this book somewhat dangerous for someone like me to read - because it influences me in so many ways and helps to build up the courage to do exactly that. 

IS that a bad thing though?! This is where the controversy starts all over again. 

If you're an adventurer, a seeker of freedom, an adrenalin-junkie or merely enjoy the great outdoors - then this book is for you. 

Of all the admirable and breathtaking things I picked up from this under-rated book, the below is something that completely knocked me off-kilter... but at the same time, adjusted every inch of my way of thinking into exactly what I needed it be... it made me feel courageous and READY to face to world. Give this quote a read and tell me that it doesn't inspire you:

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a person than a secure future. The very basic core of a persons living spirit is their passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences and hence there is no greater joy than an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."


Do yourself a favor and read this book. I guarantee to will change your life.
Now all I need to do is watch the movie!

I hope you are all having a stunning weekend. Relaxing, partying, eating, drinking, playing, learning, sharing and BEING.

(these are some of the things that I've been up to lately):








Not my best look....




Life is beautiful... and it is what you make of it. 



14 comments:

  1. This book has been on my list for so long and after this review I think I should just buy it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen the movie (which i loved!), but i've always wanted to read the book as well! I think i'll cozy up with it in autumn :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the book seems to impressed you a lot. I heard about it a lot, but didn´t see a movie, either read the book. But now, I definitely have to, I like controversy. Hope you´re having great time, as always your pics are fabulous. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to read this book.
    Hope we can follow each other
    xx
    reasnotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this sounds like a book I need to read. I have been searching for new book to get stuck into so thanks for sharing!

    xoxo One Stiletto At a Time

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one hell of a review. To say you will treasure it forever is such a bold statement, it better be good!

    I've not read it, but it sounds great. I always loved the idea of a minimalistic life. Nothing to get you down and always being able to go wherever. I don't know if you've ever read 'Born to Run', but that give me the similar feeling, with 'Caballo Blanco' being the ultra runner who lived a really simple life.

    It's great when a book really 'gets you', isn't it?

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a lovely comment Corinne, it really is a book I will treasure!

      I'll definitely look out for you recommendation! xxx

      Delete
  7. O-M-G. I can not believe I just 'happened' over here right now and that you just 'happened' to review this! Holy s*** Jade! I was mind blown and OVERLY inspired this morning after reading a clip from Humans Of New York. About a guy who has essentially done just that. Ahhh, I need to copy and paste the story because my retelling will do not JUSTICE!

    “I haven’t liked to sleep indoors ever since I got out of prison. I’ve visited almost every state—only five more to go. And once I finish, I’m going to start over, so she can see them all too.”

    The 'She' he was referring to was his dog. But damn how tempting is that, to just throw caution to the wind and finally do it. This novel seems like a dangerous read for myself also, though I liked how you mentioned the difference between Chris and you/me. Dude got some serious balls because, yeah, like you I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to set out on a journey like that sadly. It's the modern conveniences and technology that keeps me crawling back. Mainly the photography aspect. I'd desperately need to document everything, not just in writing but in photographic images also. And since illustrating is not my forte (requires waaaay to much brain power and concentration for me lol) I have to rule that out. But anyway what a pretty rad coincidence no?! Must read this, thank you Jade. Have the most wonderful week and hope all is well with you pretty lady!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'd be proud of me, Jade... I finally finished the book I began in late May. :) Loving these fun pics, and I'm still flying high on your sweet post from last week (gave it a mention in my latest post). Hugs on your day! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read the book now!!! I first watched the film years ago and I've watched it over and over ever since! The story is also one that I will treasure in my heart forever. I can really relate to the character because I also feel a desire sometimes to just escape and leave everything and everyone behind in order to discover myself. The ending was really bittersweet for me, but I loved it because it was realistic. Now I'm definitely going to read the novel as soon as I find it in the nearest bookstore! <3

    http://itsthekyliebabii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never read the book but I saw the movie and it was a really, really good movie. So I can just imagine what the book would be like!
    Looks like you've been having lots of fun:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade