Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Monday, May 19, 2014

The Impossible | Movie Review








Things that make Jade cry 
(in no specific order)

  1. Extreme Makeover Home Edition
  2. Weddings (particularly the moment when the groom catches the first sight of his bride).
  3. Funerals (the speeches kill me. I've gone to funerals for people that I don't even know (don't worry, I am not a funeral crasher!) and I've always been led to tears during the speeches about the deceased!) 
  4. When the wine runs out.
I am not a crier. As you can see from the above list, very few things makes the waterworks flow for me, but I'm terribly bad at watching anything to do with devastation. I also appear to be really bad at watching anything incredibly happy! (Although they would be tears of happiness rolling down my cheeks - I still get teased and laughed at for it!)



In 2004, a tsunami swept through South East Asia. The devastating news made international headlines. Many were killed, thousands left homeless. Many lost their loved ones and the lives that the Thai had built up was completely destroyed. 

The Impossible is a harrowing tale based on an incredible true story of a family of five who were in Thailand on the 26th December 2004, when the tsunami hit. It is a film about the families strength, belief and stubbornness to not only survive the disaster but to also find each other again - fighting the odds and keeping hope and faith.

When the tsunami came, the family was ripped apart and had no idea if they had survived the tragic event. 
Naomi Watts (mum,) seemed to have suffered the worst of the injuries but quickly spots her son amidst the chaos. She lets go of the palm tree that she had clung herself onto and got swept into the vicious water after her eldest son. The two finally manage to grab hold of each other as the are flung around in the water. They cling onto each other for dear life as to not be separated. 


The tsunami took Ewan McGregor (dad) and the two younger boys on another course but, miraculously, they also manage to stick together. 

This spine-chilling film follows both mum and dad as they fight for their families lives while they go on a journey to find each other again with no way of contacting each other to find out if they had even survived the traumatic day.

Naomi Watts gave an absolutely breathtaking performance. In fact, all of the acting was jaw-dropping. Ewan Mcgregor, Tom Holland, Samuel Joslin and Oaklee Pendergast were equally as compelling and hoisted this film up to reach the highest of highs.

The scenes were beyond gory and graphic - making it literally impossible for even the manliest of men not to shiver. If you've got a weak stomach for blood and wounds, I wouldn't suggest that you watch this film but it really is so worth it. At times I did have to close my eyes and look away if I wasn't already wiping the tears from my eyes with my blanket or cringing from the gore. 

This film just took my blew me away and does such a good job of reminding us of the ghastly events that took place on the 26th December 2004. 






post signature

19 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like a great Film, I'm adding it to my ongoing list of movies to watch. Wishing you a great week Jade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get around to it pretty lady x

      Delete
  2. Yes I have seen this film and I agree.. I was constantly looking away from Naomi's injuries.. They looked so insanely realistic. It definitely opened my eyes to just how bad a tsunami can be. One of the girls I read was in a tsunami.. well she just got away and I couldn't believe her own personal recollection of the events when she posted it on her blog.

    We live on Vancouver Island so there are signs in Tofino and other coastal areas that say; Tsunami Route .. It's unsettling to think that that could happen to us here .. (Luckily I live in an area that wouldn't be struck in that kind of way if there ever was a tsunami. But still.. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi's injuries were brutal!!!!

      So glad I've spoken about a movie that most people have seen - it's wonderful to hear other people's thoughts and opinions.

      I'm also blessed to live in an area where disasters like that don't happen.. it scared me to think it could happen in places like Thailand at any given moment. It really does frighten me

      Delete
  3. I know I'd cry during this film. I am an ugly crier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impossible to look good when you cry. Unless you have botox. Ew.

      Delete
  4. I've seen this movie and it was heartbreaking. You know, I was actually living in Thailand when the tsunami happened, and my father (who was the Ambassador of the Philippines in Thailand at the time) had to go to the place where the tsunami hit to help with the result of the devastation. I tagged along, and I met so many children whose families were still missing at the time. I also had a friend who was swept away by the tsunami when he was on holiday at the resort, but luckily he's okay and was reunited with his sister and father. This movie reminded me of everything and it still pains me to this day.

    http://itsthekyliebabii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness gracious.. it must have been so heart wrenching to be so involved in that - but a wonderful thing that you did to be there for them all xx

      Delete
  5. I am a crier.. so that movie totally got me! And I watched it on a plane, no less! But it was incredible, I just can't even begin to imagine what those families went through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the beginning part where the family was apparently on a plane! Eeeek.....

      Delete
  6. great post dear!
    Lena
    http://skinnycature.com/2014/05/20/yummi-cherry/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will watch this movie, sounds good and sad! :)

    http://www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-impossible-movie-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. It had to be really great movie if it made you cry. But it´s too sad for me.
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was almost too sad for me to continue watching, I must admit :( x

      Delete
  9. The Impossible is a very powerful film, incredibly moving and emotionally devastating.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade