Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Dude Where's My Car!?!?




Allow me to tell you about my day yesterday....

It started off as any other. I woke up at 6am, crammed in some writing in bed with my morning coffee.. reluctantly got out of bed, picked my work outfit for the day and got ready.

I decided that I would take my car to the car wash (it was in dire need of a good scrub and vacuum!). 

It was a freezing cold wintery morning as I dropped off the car, paid for the service in advance and walked down the road to the art gallery where I work. I'd told them that I'd be back at 5pm (after work) to pick up the car. 


The day ensued - and after 5pm I bundled up and walked briskly back to the garage. Usually, I see my car parked outside in the parking lot, shiny and good as new. This time... I didn't. 

I knew something was wrong before I even got to the counter and asked for the keys. I had a gut feeling. 

Sure enough, my keys were not on their rack. 

"What car do you have, ma'am?" The manager (I presume,) asks me, scurrying over as he sees the problem arise. 

"A blue micra," I inform him.

"Oh! The blue Micra with roof-racks? That was collected earlier!" he tells me. 

"What!? By WHO!?" I panic, demanding to know who collected my car.

I am lead into the back to look at the security cameras. Sure enough, there is a man (re)paying for the car wash and collecting my keys before driving out of the garage with MY car. 

Call dad. 

"It sounds like your cars been stolen!" Dad states the obvious, abandoning his beer and hastily joining me at the garage.

Someone has got to be playing a joke on me! I think, not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

All I know at this point is that my precious Blue Crush (the name I dubbed my little blue surf mobile,) is gone. 

The garage puts a cafe latte in my hands - their attempts to keep me calm as I wait for them to explain what is going on. They have started dialing numbers, trying to discover WHO this man is and WHY he has my car.

My car is gone! 

Drunken hobo's causing havoc and screaming 'Foetsek!' (Afrikaans for 'Fuck Off',) are only making things worse.

 Head is spinning. 

Ah!!

Car located!

Manager of garage establishes who this man who has my car is.

But why does he have my car?! 

WELL.....

Europcar (a car rental business,) is situated right alongside garage. Turns out that this man was picking up a car for a friend - but didn't know which car it was. Someone handed over my keys. Man drove off, blissfully unaware. 

Now, said man, is not picking up his phone. 

I am standing around for nearly an hour trying to figure out where the hell my car is!! Arranged through a car rental business my car could be halfway to Cape Town already!!!!!! (which, for your overseas readers, is a city a good five hours away from my town!). 

Where is my car?! 

How could it have been mistaken for a rental car anyway!? There's dream-catchers, rosary, a bikini crammed into the passengers crevice in the door.. Plus the odd shoe strewn across the floor.. Not to mention my music.. 


What rental car has freaking Rolling Stones 'Cocaine Eyes' blasting from the speakers?! 

Finally reach 'Culprit Who Has Jade's Car's' wife... 

He is on his way back with the vehicle - luckily still in town. 

More waiting. Is he having dinner first!? 



Finally Blue Micra revs up and man exits car. 
He's friendly looking. 

"Are you the owner?!" He asks. 

"Yes!" I laugh back. 

He hands me the keys, apologizing. 

Manager tries to give him the keys to the CORRECT vehicle that he was supposed to collect. 

"Not a fuck!" Man refuses.. Clearly pissed off at the garage and car rental business now as stalks down the road, carless. 

Offer man a lift to get to where he needs to go. 

He says thanks but no thanks. He's too cross... Time to walk it off.

Seriously. I think garages need to implement a sign in and out sheet or something?!? This could have ended a lot worse than it had. 

Car safely now back - with rightful owner. AKA: Me.




What a day.

Only in Africa.

33 comments:

  1. Seriously the man missed the dream catchers? How does that happen? Any car I have ever rented only has paperwork and advertisements in it. I would notice anything personalized in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah ..naaaice!
    Now that's one hell of a captivating witty post , Jade! :) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikhil for the lovely compliment :)

      Delete
  3. WOW, good that you got it back, so strange that they would just give it to a guy, kind of easy to steal cars that way. Thank you so much for coming by, loved your comment, and good luck with the writing!
    Simona
    Simona/OFF DUTY Still some time for my GIVEAWAY: fuller, shinier hair with Phylia deM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy! Next time I'm going to test them and say - oh yes that's my car - the red convertible! And see what happens!

      Delete
  4. What a total mess up! Rob would have demanded his money back for the wash and many other things for the inconvenience. LOL.. I'm just glad you got your Blue Crush back. It is a very sweet looking car too, I might add!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I actually cannot believe that I kept as calm as I did!!
      Thank you - I love my little car!!

      Delete
  5. OMG , that's really weird and funny .. I would have going even more crazy.. This episode if your life us something that I definatly going to share with my friend to, it's so funny
    Keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your friend enjoyed the story, Pooja! Haha my friends laughed their heads off xxx

      Delete
  6. Haha :D. It´s funny story but I´m sure you had to be frightened. I´d kill the person who would do something like this to me. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was on the verge of crying - if it hadn't been so hilariously stupid and unbelievable I probably would have!

      Delete
  7. Crazy story, I'm glad Blue Crush is safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh no, i'm so glad you got your wee car back! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek, I'd have panicked too!

    I'm glad you got your car back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's terrible service! But it's great that you did finally get the car back...they should have paid for a year of cleanings for you at the rival car wash company...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you J. I completely agree.. alas, they didn't.

      At the rival car wash company!! I love your style.

      Delete
  11. What a super-sweet ride! Sorry to hear about the scary incident--so glad your blue baby is back home safe & sound. I agree--sounds like there need to be new safeguards in place to prevent these occurrences. Hugs on your weekend! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I was really frightened and alerted the world into thinking that it had been stolen!!! Felt like an idiot afterwards but seriously - who does that!?!?

      Delete
  12. OMG, this is hilarious! Great laughing post.
    http://www.fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed in Andrea :)
      I had fun finding the light in it and using the situation to my advantage :)

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..... if you like my blog, follow it. If you don't, don't. Don't wait for followers to only follow them back afterwards. Blogging shouldn't be like that. It's just WRONG and ANNOYING.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful laughing post! I am glad that you got your car back!
    Love, Sily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sily - loved your latest post on Portugal xxx

      Delete
  15. OMG what an experience! I would have been freaking out if I were in your position lol. At least this story had a happy ending and you were reunited with your car <3

    http://itsthekyliebabii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie - so happy to have my car back and weird to think of her little excursion around town without me!! haha

      Delete
  16. Well, not a great beginning, but at least you got the car back! :) Nice car! Good that you warned us about a possibility of something like this happening. I think there are no safeguards from incidents like this in most places…
    www.minsbeautyequipment.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure love - so ridiculous. It's a freaking CAR!! Not something that should be handed over to someone else lightly. Ai ai ai....

      Delete
  17. Oh my goodness! In America-there is NO WAY that person would have brought back the car--that thing would be off and stolen! I cannot believe the garage did that!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.truffles-ruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I suddenly feel blessed that I live in Africa! Wow... really? In America the car would have just been gone??? Ouch.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade