Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Happily Ever After by Harriet Evans | Book Review

"At twenty-two, Eleanor Bee is sure about three things: she wants to move to London and become a literary superstar, she wants to be able to afford a to buy a coffee and croissant every morning, and she doesn't believe in happy endings. Ten years on, and Elle's life has changed in ways she could never have predicted. Because the past has a funny way of catching up with you, and Happily Ever After comes in all shapes and sizes."




This is the second Harriet Evans book that I am both reading and reviewing. The first book I read of hers also happened to be my first book review on this blog back in May 2012 : I Remember You by Harriet Evans | Book Review

Her first book completely underwhelmed me and I had no intention of ever reading her work again. That being said, I had absolutely no idea that it was the same author when I picked up this book in the shop.
I read the back and it stood out to me as something that I would really enjoy considering it was the perfect cocktail mixture.
A dash of London.
A twist of New York.
A sprinkle of the glamorous world of the publishing industry.
A slice or two of the sweet and sourness of sex and relationships.
And a hearty lug of real life problems that one can easily relate to.

So I bought it without even realizing it was the same author I had previously picked apart!
Once I had figured it out (it took me a while,) I found that I was really pleasantly surprised. 
I adored the way she described every intricate detail so beautifully - though at times I felt like because the book was written over a series of years through the key characters life, that the author slid in a lot of unnecessary things relating to the year in which the chapter was supposed to be based on. That was its only downfall - oh; and it be brutally honest I must admit that the key character did annoy me a bit. She seemed clueless to me at times - not a 'strong' heroine to me nor someone I'd look up to even when she was reveling in her successes.


I couldn’t have read this book at a better time in my life – I probably say that about the majority of books I read but I guess that you pick up exactly what you need to from every book you come across.

This book takes you all throughout Elle’s life, from the dreaded days of teenage school life all the way up to her thirties.
It touches on the years in between those times, on the trials and hardships she faces as well as the successes and saucy secrets of an independent female.

It takes you on a journey from a messy, sporadic girls situation in life where she can barely afford lunch - where she is practically bowing down to those she works with (sound familiar to anyone???), she's at the bottom of the food chain… to blossoming into a woman. 
A woman with power and confidence. 
A woman who inevitably still has problems – like we all do.That's a good message I picked up from this book.

As a woman in my mid-twenties, falling out of bed at 7am each morning and procrastinating against gym, then feeling guilty and doing squats in the shower while brushing my teeth at the same time; scarpering around the gallery I work for making coffee for everyone and typing out the bosses handwritten letters – it was a perfect read.
It’s just a great book to read when you’re at that sort of stage in your life; just trying to get by. 
Neither here nor there. 
Dreaming of something big but needing to make ‘Right Now’ work as best you can.

It reminds you that you have no idea where you’ll be a year from now – even a month from now.
Every tiny thing that happens in life, sets you on a different course that you could never have thought of. 

No one knows where they’ll end up. 

And that’s the beauty and the excitement of life.   
 

Even in our darkest moments - there will be light at the end of the tunnel. 
Even Cinderella eventually got her happy ending...

post signature



32 comments:

  1. It sounds very interesting. I never heard about this writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well , i am not into reading these days, deliberately because i start living in the bookish world but this particular book wants me to buy and read it . i am 26 and i think it will be super fun to read a girls stray of the same age group
    keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to lala land long ago ;)
      Bookish world is far better

      Delete
  3. It´s great that you chose to give the author second chance, I don´t know if I would. I´m starting to think that books of today are full of not very clever and annoying characters.
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the times they are - but every so often, an author might just surprise you :)

      Delete
  4. I want to be able to afford a coffee and a croissant every morning too! One good reason to read this book already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good about getting some reading done! I've been lax--although I do love to read. I am vowing to finish reading "What Would Jackie Do" this weekend, though. Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of What Would Jackie Do but I'll be sure to look out for it. I don't think I could stay sane without books.... wait.. am I sane? No... not at all :)

      Delete
  6. hey, it's must be read! But I wonder if is it avalaible in my country or not. I am in Indonesia, maybe I gotta search it on big bookstore like Gramedia or etc. Thanks for hsaring this great book!
    happy lovely day!

    http://dearlabinadesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to Indo this year hopefully! Fingers crossed! Can't wait to check out your blog and see what your life is like over there!! xxx

      Delete
  7. Hi, also, you have new follower!

    http://dearlabinadesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great book, a nice idea for a summer reading!
    Fabrizia – Cosa Mi Metto???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - enjoy your summer while we are suffering through winter :D

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you liked the second book. It sounds great and something I would love to read too. I'm always careful to try reading another book from an author that I didn't like but maybe I should give them another try. Happy weekend!

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I really was so surprised by the second book in comparison to the first one I'd read - it almost makes me want to go back and read the first again to re-evaluate it! But........ I want to read NEW things :D

      Delete
  10. it's so cute dear!! thanks for sharing! have you a nice week end!
    Do you want to follow each other on instagram? I'm @chicstreetchoc! Thank uuu
    FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
    CHIC STREET CHOC

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is in my to read list but currently I am on a break as doctor has asked me to give rest to my eyes because of my c-lasic done a few weeks ago!! But I will read it for sure! :)

    Thanks a bunch Jade for stopping by my blog!! I'm following you now on gfc, bloglovin, and facebook! Sorry for the delay! xx Hope you will follow me back on all!! <3
    P.S: You can also follow me on instagram as I always follow back! :)

    Keep in touch
    http://www.myfashionfootprints.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you! And welcome! I will most certainly check you out on instagram :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the post!!!
    ritaaflyatunova.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Очень интересно , мне понравилось :)
    http://larissamerkulova.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jade! What a wonderful review. This sounds like it's right up my alley and something I could use right now. I feel like I'm stuck in that middle ground. Trying to climb up to where I want to be yet stuck and confused about something. That and a splash and dash of London and New York had me hook line and sinker. I'll add this to my booklist Jade, thanks for the recommendation and that Cinderella quote. Climbing so high only to fall spectacularly and without hope only to eventually find that light again. Life can be an annoying cycle!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I really hope that you like the read if you get around to it - it really is worth it Sonia! :) Especially if you find yourself relating to the little blurb above. x

      Delete
  15. I love these type of books! I'm currently reading One Lavender Ribbon but I think this will be my next book :) Great review!

    Loren | www.minkys.co.za

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of One Lavender Ribbon but I'll swing past Bargain Books and try find it on the shelves! Thanks Loren xx

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a great book! I'm always looking for new novels to read so thanks so much for the recommendation <3

    http://itsthekyliebabii.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like this book. I'll add it to my list, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade