Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Counting Sheep...

For the past year or so I have been having the worst trouble with sleeping.
I fall asleep easily - but as soon as the clock strikes between 12 - 3am I am wide awake. so as soon as I fall back asleep I have barely shut my eyes again before my alarm rings violently throughout the room.
 
I'm the sort of person that tries to do everything naturally.
I refuse to take pain killers if I can help it, am extremely stubborn against anti-biotics unless it is 100% necessary and even vitamin supplements are things foreign to me.
 
Therefore, there is no option to take on board sleeping tablets.
I'm completely against them.
 
The first thing you need to do is figure out why you're waking up during the nights or early mornings, particularly if you notice a pattern in the times you're waking up.
 
I went onto this website which gave me a chart of throughout 24 hours and lets you know where your problem lies.
 
(mine apparently being in the liver.... which probably isn't far off! I found this chart scarily accurate. Not only does it correlate for me the liver, but also portrays anger, frustration and resentment which I am not in the least bit shy to admit I suffer with from my past): 
 
 
 
Furthering my research to get me to sleep through the night or simply help me fall back asleep easily... this post is a helpful list that I compiled together in order to hopefully assist you with natural sleeping remedies:
 
  • Develop a Routine: going to bed at a certain hour each night will put your body into recognition with it. You will become used to the pattern.
  • Get Your Full 8 Hours: Studies have shown that everyone 18 and older need at least 8 hours sleep a night.
      
  • Make a Lavender Sachet and Place it Under Pillow: Lavender has a relaxing effect on your body and will help you to feel sleepy.
  • Exercise: Get those endorphins flowing. Exercise will give you energy throughout the day and is also a fabulous form of annihilating any depressive symptoms you may suffer from.
  • No Nightcaps: I didn't know this before beginning my research, but apparently as much as a glass of wine helps you to drift off at night, by the time the alcohol wears off it wakes you back up and makes it difficult for you to fall back to sleep.
  • So instead of a Nightcap, go for Chamomile!
  • No Smoking: I'm sure you don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that smoking is BAD for your health.  
  • Cut Back on the Caffeine.
  • Look Carefully at Your Diet: Eliminate foods / drinks that are actually harmful to your sleep, such as protein rich and high-fat foods. They are hard to digest.
  • Go Black: Your brain needs complete darkness to be able to know it is time for sleep. If there is light of any form, it triggers something to wake you back up.
    For the past few months I've needed a light in the hallway to remain on at night after a bad experience, so in a situation like this I'd suggest that you leave the light on and just have a sleeping mask over your eyes so if you hear anything at night and need to look around, you can just slip the mask off and the room around you will be visible.
  • Temperature Control: I love my electric blanket and hot water bottle, but overheating can really effect your sleeping! So instead of switching on the heat to the max, rather just wear warmer clothing or have an extra blanket when you're cold.  
  • Music: Some people like to listen to relaxing music to fall asleep. Rain, wind, water are common noises that ease people into sleep.
    For me, I'd recommend Enya. It always works for me.
  • Don't keep your cellphone and other electronics close to your bed: Electronics will distract you. You'll be woken up with a message or a flashing light. Cellphones also emit radiation which makes it harder for you to reach a state of deep sleep.
    I use my phone as an alarm clock so what I do in this instance is keep it across the room at night, not only does that help the prevent the radiation but it also makes me get up in the mornings to turn the alarm clock off!!
  • Read: I read every night before I go to bed. It really helps me to relax and get drowsy. That's not to say the books I read are boring!! But reading can be so calming as well as aiding to escape your own thoughts for a while.


 
 Now that I've given you some great tips and advice to help assist you to sleep better tonight, feel free to share some of your own tricks that have helped you throughout your restless nights!

Sleep well!




post signature

15 comments:

  1. Oh poor you! I hope it has helped you because I bet sleeplessness is a terrible thing to suffer! I luckily never had a problem like this before but when I woke up in the "middle" of the night is at 4am or something. As I'm a curious person I checked on the chart and it surprised me because it talks about the lungs. I don't wake up everyday at 4am but I often do. It scared me, probably I'm panicking about nothing. Ahhh I'll tell you if in a future I have lung problems or not (absolutely not, I'm SO dramatic as you can see) Thank you and I hope you have your sweet dreams back! :) x

    camstalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hihi, that also ever happened to me. Thanks for sharing the useful tips, dear Jade! <3

    Labina | Dear Labina Design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had trouble sleeping my entire life. I usually go for classical music to sleep to, but love Enya too. I hate the taste of chamomile tea, but that's probably because I was forced to drink it as a child to help me sleep. I also find a nice hot bath with lavender essential oil helps quite a bit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to know about your sleeping discoder.. i know how irritating it is , my sleeping schedule is all tossed up
    will try lavender sacchet
    Kisses,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all great tips for getting a good night's rest. Sorry to hear you've had trouble getting to sleep. I can relate. Myself, I have no trouble getting to sleep... But, being a woman of a certain age, I'm dealing with restlessness which certainly disrupts my sleep. :( Sweet dreams, Jade! x T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really helpful for me Jade. I've had a strange case of insomnia where I just dont get sleep at night. Its 6:25am here and yes, I've been up since yesterday. And once I do sleep, I tend to sleep for a good 10-12 hours waking up between 3pm to 4pm every single day! Yes, so my sleep cycle is pretty bad too. To add to it, I am a fairly regular drinker and heavy smoker so these things also affect my sleep disorder. Besides that I'm online pretty much all night (on days I'm home, otherwise I'm out drinking with friends) so the internet keeps me up too. Even if I want to sleep early and get into bed by 3-4am, I tend to lie wide awake for hours!! Its so annoying. I'm checking out the link you've provided. Lets hope it helps me. Hope you get over your sleep issues too!

    New post on my blog -
    www.JuneWantsItAll.com and we could also connect on Twitter, Facebook ,Bloglovin and Pinterest
    Keep in touch
    xx
    June

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I'm all about complete darkness. I can fall asleep with the glow of a clock but if I can avoid it.. I will!! Now Rob and I just wake up to our cell phone alarms and don't even have clocks on our nightstands anymore. They give off too much light AND I don't always like knowing the time when I go to bed.. It makes me fret about the little number of hours I have before i have to wake up again!! That's a tip for falling asleep.. don't look at the time. My father in law taught me that one. Not knowing is better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting post! It often happens with me these days, will try few of these!

    Hugs & kisses
    Ritcha
    http://www.myfashionfootprints.com/
    http://www.myglossyaffair.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, very helpful advices. Amazing idea with the lavender under pillow. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad I came across this blog post. I suffer from the same thing. Everything you said was so accurate in my case. Thanks for the information.


    I invite you to check out my blog.
    loyaltofashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry Jade, I hope it gets better for you. I've had sleeping issues for years now and I'm sad to admit, I rely heavily on sleeping pills. I've tried so much of what you listed here, it helped some, but not much.

    It's awful dealing with sleeping issues, I know this all too well. I hope it betters better.

    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading Pride and Prejudice at the moment and it is boring me to sleep each night. I know most people love this book and that's why I am reading it, but it's just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting post
    Hope you get better
    xx

    losaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. exercising really helps for me and reading any book, and oh! i love enya, especially the soundtrack of the movie sweet november, only time. beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know how I missed this post Jade. I feel your pain, I'm a horribly light sleeper and unfortunately it runs on my mothers side of the family so I've inherited it. Grrrr. The last time I had a complete and full nights rest was 3 years ago in the US. But that was because I took a sleeping tablet because I had been awake for over 72 hours and couldn't get any sleep! And before that, I was probably a child! I don't like taking medications too, I avoid it like the plague, even cold and flu tablets. I did take sleeping tablets though now they don't have any real effect on me. I still wake up throughout the night. I like reading before bed because it does help calm down but I still end up either unable to fall asleep until 3-4am or waking up at 3-4am and unable to fall back asleep until after 6am right when I need to get up. Exercising helps a lot. I notice a real difference when I do work out. I am pretty curious about this chart thing though. Need to check this out asap!

    SDMxx
    www.daringcoco.com
    GIVEAWAY NEWNESS, CHECK IT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade