Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Friday, April 25, 2014

The Mistress by Martine McCutcheon | Book Review

 "He took one last long look at her before walking away and disappearing into the night. At that moment, Mandy knew her life would change forever . . .
Mandy Sanderson is turning thirty and has everything going for her – dark ebony hair, flashing black eyes, flawless skin and a job she loves – yet, so far, true love has eluded her. Then, on the night of her birthday party, surrounded by friends she adores, Cupid strikes as Mandy and the gorgeous Jake Chaplin lock eyes across the restaurant and fall for one another in an instant.
Jake is confident, successful, oozing with sex appeal and utterly irresistible. He is also married, with two children, and Mandy has always sworn not to break her own golden rule: never encourage a man to play away. Jake is used to getting what he wants, and this time it is Mandy he’s determined to win, and with Jake, seduction comes in more ways than one."



What a saucy read!

I couldn't believe how much criticism this book received. Generally, celebs create their own sickly sweet perfume or release some deafening pop song to gain more exposure. Martine McCutcheon, the much loved actress from Love Actually, decided to write a book.



The book follows Mandy Sanderson as she enters her thirties. She goes out for a glamorous birthday meal in London with her closest friends where she meets Jake Chaplin, a successful and gorgeous business man with one slight complication... he has a ring on his finger - and two children.

The two know how wrong it is to be entering into this sinful relationship but the love and lust they share for one another is too difficult to ignore.

This is their love story - steamy, heart-wrenching and simply delectable. 

You couldn't imagine the ending that Martine McCutcheon gave this story - it is completely unexpected and knocks you off balance a little. I wasn't sure whether to be happy, disappointed or just completely and utterly confused. Perhaps I was all three at once.  The ending felt rushed and cut short - I wished that she had elaborated on the path and life that the key character (Mandy,) decided to choose.

It is an easy book to get lost in - enjoyed best while on holiday or killing time at the airport, which lets face it, I seem to be doing a lot of these days.

It was really hard for me to pick this book up - let alone finish it. Being in love and involved with a married man (unknowingly) is (unfortunately) something very close to home for me. I chose to read this book because of the book that I am busy writing with a similar storyline, minus the children and glam London lifestyle. Although my book is fiction - it is built on the bones of my experience with a man I deeply loved and who I shared some absolutely beautiful moments with - but whom I lost... whom I never really had to begin with.... and that, my friends, was the hard part to accept. Cue that beautiful and sad melodic song posted in my previous post to best define just how I feel:

 http://bohemianmuses.blogspot.com/2014/04/christina-aguilera-say-something.html

Both Martine McCutcheon's story and my own just goes to show that sometimes the people (call them what you like: mistresses, seducers, home-wreckers..) that you are led to judge and hate are often the ones that were not in the wrong. Many times, our stories need to be belted out to the world.

Empowerment of those who have been burned and rubbed the wrong way.
This is by all means a fabulous read for anyone who has ever felt that way.

It has taken me a long time to be able to finally start writing my new book again but now I am finally ready and I am absolutely loving it. I'm sure you'll all hear about it soon - but for now it is still being created and my first book, Walk With Me, is selling like crazy.

All of that is my explanation as to why I have been quieter than usual lately. I have been reading and writing my absolute bloody heart out (pardon the pun) - as well as cramming in the odd airplane ride and spontaneous trip around South Africa to keep my travel junkie soul entertained. 

Loving life in the bubble of words, pages, ink and literature that I have wrapped myself in!

Peace and love until a later date...

Jade




post signature

26 comments:

  1. Married men are a no go sorry. Two children makes it worse! I don't think this is something I would enjoy to read!

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you - and completely agree. It is a change to read it from the perspective of the woman that we are all lead to hate in movies and books though.... and opens your eyes to what could really be going on. But I understand it could definitely be something that you don't want to open your mind to for sure.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are doing well with your book sales. It's hard to promote stuff, regardless of what it is, so it's always good to hear some success stories. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Jade!
    www.minsbeautyequipment.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - that means a lot to me. It is difficult but it will all pay off. I will always have passion and ambition for what I do so its ok!!

      I hope you're having an amazing week xx

      Delete
  3. I'll have to read this! Love Actually is one of my favorite movies, and I loved her in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good film - and she was hilarious!
      Enjoy the read xxx

      Delete
  4. I didn´t hear about the book, but the title and your review really interested me in. Althoug I´m not very keen on romantic books. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia, I hope you like it if you decide to read it.

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely going to check this book out. I try to keep a pretty open mind when reading books only because I feel that books are a way to allow your mind to transport you to another place and another time. Even tho in my life I wouldn't support an action like that, the story behind this book still seems like a pretty great read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Deborah - thank you for such an insightful comment xxx

      Delete
  6. oh, i didn't know she wrote a book! sounds interesting:-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Violet, for her first novel she did really well in my eyes.

      Delete
  7. Jade, I had every intention of picking up the book I began earlier this month and finishing it off. Then, things got a bit busier than planned... I'm vowing to do so--this week, though! Have a fab week! xx T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, what book is it?
      Life always seems to get in the way - but without a book I might as well be in a mental asylum. Nothing beats relaxing ANYWHERE and getting lost in the pages of a good book xxx

      Delete
  8. That sounds really interesting and amazing for many reasons. I definitely respect that she wrote a book, I think it's very impressive...definitely better than the stereotypical idea of a perfume. She was great in love actually and I love that she was in my favourite all time show eastenders. I must say that I adore the song say something more than I can explain...but it gets me every time, so much emotion and feeling involved. thanks for your comment. my sister's name is india so india and imogen is similar I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Imogen - ahh I love the name India. I called my cat India. She's my soul-mate.
      I actually never watched much of East Enders - such a bad Brit I am!!!

      Delete
  9. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to write a book! I think you're right - so much more interesting than a perfume or a reality show! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Indy - I really respect her for writing one. It is hard but also so enjoyable and fun.

      Delete
  11. Brilliant post - as usual! Bloggers like you deserve high praise!
    You do a great job! Thank you that I had the opportunity to meet you,
    the work you do is very important to me. Talk to you soon honey!




    Regards,
    Katherine Unique


    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd read this.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade