Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Her | Movie Review



Her is a unique and soulful, quirky and creative film; thriving on the idea of social technology - all swirled into melancholy and burning with a futuristic edge.

The fabulous part about this film is that as far-fetched as it may be, it is completely believable and not over-played. The romance is raw and real - one that you could relate to.

It just goes to show that you can find love in the most unexpected places - no matter how wrong or unrealistic it may seem. 


The film is based on a lonely divorced writer, Theodore (played by Joaquin Phoenix) who falls in love with his OS1 (the worlds first artificially intelligent operating system).
Samantha (voiced by Scarlett Johansson) quickly develops her own personality and consciousness as she chats with Theodore. Theodore's connection with her escalates as the two enter a rare romantic relationship.

I don't really think that it is a film that I would watch again. Although I loved the concept and the acting by Joaquin Phoenix in particular was fantastic - I think that once is enough. The humor is dry and rough - on a whole though, a truly magical, touching story-line filled with wit.


I unfortunately made the God awful mistake of watching this film with my parents... watching a movie with erotic, violent and somewhat sadistic phone sex whilst in the company of your folks is pretty nauseating to say the least. I have a feeling that it would have been more enjoyable if watched in the company of friends - not family. 

 I would definitely recommend this film to someone who enjoys a good indie flick with an odd romantic edge.
post signature

18 comments:

  1. I love indie flicks & would surely check this one out...thanks for your review!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie films are definitely my fav.. thanks. I hope that you enjoy it xxxx

      Delete
  2. I heard it´s really good movie, but I think that it´s nothing for me- too much romance. The post made me smile, it had to be really strange to watch ,,this" kind of film with parents. :D
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I love that you have such a different taste in films from the usual lady Lia.. I think you'll like my next movie review that's coming up very much :)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to watch this one, Jade--now, I've gotta. I had to laugh as I can only imagine that watching certain scenes with parents in the room would be (um) a bit uncomfortable. :) Happy belated Easter, Doll! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha yip.. watching it with your folks is pretty grim.
      I hope that you enjoy it Tina xxx

      Oh yes! Happy belated Easter to you xx

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this movie!
    This movie is absolutely spectacular! Even the parts that made you go "whaaa?" like the dead cat scene was terrific! Even though it was kind of peculiar.
    I believe this movie painted their romance really well!
    It was kind of sad how it ended though!
    http://enticedspice.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay so happy that you have seen it Aisha!
      The dead cat scene!!!! WTF!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. I seriously haaaaate watching weird parts of movies with family. It's soooo awkward. My dad was religious near the end of his life and would fast forward all of the 'inappropriate' parts of the movies. But to be honest, I was totally grateful! Thank you Jesus.... lol! ;)
    I've wondered about this movie and I think I'll give it a shot on a night when I am on my own and need a good movie to watch. I started writing your letter tonight and thirty seconds in, I had to stop to do some sort of mom duty. Sigh. I'll get it written, it just may take a week or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Haley - I am very excited to read your new letter. It is great having a bit of a wait in between as then so much has happened to write back and forth xxx

      Delete
  6. You watched this with your parents. I can feel you! I don't want to imagine my folks watching this with me lol! I love Joaquin Phoenix acting. He's always amazing. It's not a movie that I would usually watch but I might cos he's in it. Thanks for this awesome review :)

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joaquin Phoenix has never been my favorite actor to be honest but I really liked him in this role.

      Delete
  7. really beautiful movie!
    I posted a new outfit, I'd love to know your opinion
    would you like to pass from my blog?
    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  8. would definitely check this one out. the story line kinda reminds me of my favorite anime, chobits :) thanks for your review dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE drawing anime.. definitely one of my favorite types of art to be honest.

      Delete
  9. would definitely check this one out. the story line kinda reminds me of my favorite anime, chobits :) thanks for your review dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Your blog is very very interesting;)
    maybe we can follow each other? let me know! <3
    shootingdiamond.blogspot.com
    See you;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade