Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Twitter Diaries by Georgie Thompson and Imogen Lloyd Webber : Book Review


I should have gotten the hint that I wouldn't enjoy this novel by its title: The Twitter Diaries. 
I don't even 'Tweet!!' I mean, I've attempted it and I do have a twitter account but bugger me.... what a load of #!@.

I love a good chick-lit - but can we just emphasize the word 'good' here please!? 

This book intrigued me because I had this idea not so long ago to put my latest novel in complete email format. I went into a local bookstore in town and told the guy behind the counter my idea, asking him if he could recommend any books with a similar style so that I could study it. 
This was the recommendation. 

I am one of those people that have to finish what they start... no matter how torturous it may be. 

To me, this book was the biggest waste of my time and especially nearing the end of it I was literally craving something of more substance. Something nourishing for my soul. 

I got no messages in this novel. Not one... and I need to feel uplifted and feel like I've gained something from a book I've spent my time on. This however was pointless and boring and just urgh. I would rather gouge my own eyes out than have to read it again. 



OK - if this wasn't enough for you to basically take a pre-warning and not waste your time... let me tell you what it is about:

Two women who are a part of the elite world, one in London and one in New York City. They meet at a party one evening by introduction from a mutual friend. Since the party they start 'following' each other on Twitter and DM (Direct-Message for you guys who like me, have no clue what abbreviations for the Twitter world are!!!!) each other. 

The book goes through a year of their conversations, a month at a time. Each month they set different goals that concerns whatever it is that they are going through at that time. They are also absolutely obsessed with how many followers they have and actually sometimes count other people's followers. 
The mutual friend who introduced them is OBSESSED with his following count. Are people really like that???? I just don't get it. 
It is just sad. Sad, sad, sad. 

I'm about to start a book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Anyone read that???? I'd love to get your thoughts on it before I crack open the spine and begin reading! Just in case!

post signature

31 comments:

  1. Hi jade..
    Hhmmm..Initially I thought it's a good book, because I saw a very attractive cover.. :D
    but when I read your summary from this book.. Ok you right..it was pointless..
    maybe the author just wanted to tell the reality most users of social media..


    Hope you enjoy with the next book..

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely lady, I think everyone should try a book out for themselves... I mean I read a few reviews from people who loved it! So it really depends on your preference I guess! As a fellow writer I do hate giving a bad review but I had to be honest you know????

      Delete
  2. It sounds like "another-Twitter-story" because I've seen this type of peeps in real life who counts twitter follower together as a journey . It doesn't make any sense unless you're in social sphere ( like an artist , or perhaps a blogger) .
    Perks of being wall flower has loads of applauds and it's been made as film . Have you heard of that?
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Noor - I guess it all depends on whether you tweet or not! I bet loads of you would probably love the book! x

      Delete
  3. That's too bad, I hate it when that happens... Can I share some of my favorite books with you?

    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
    Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so so much for your awesome recommendations I will definitely be sure to check them out! On the hunt for a new book now :) xxxxxxx

      Delete
  4. Looks like it would be a good book, guess not. Lol thanks for the input on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha well check it out for yourself and let me know!

      Delete
  5. perfect!
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the twitter book really seem pointless! I watched " the perks of being a wallflower" and it was good but I don't know about the book though! xx

    http://birdiethgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously trying to hold back from watching the movie until I've finished the book hehehe it is so hard!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for reviewing. I heard The Perks of Being a Wallflower is good, I have yet to pick it up though. Please let us know what you think of it.

    LittlePinkRainBoots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do a review as soon as I am finished :)

      Delete
  8. Definitely giving that a pass! I'm on the twitter and I enjoy it but is that really where literature is heading to? No man. I've heard really good things about Perks, I couldn't find the book anywhere but I did watch the movie and it was really enjoyable. As with most novel-turned-movie, I'm sure the book is MUCH better. But Logan Lerman is the most adorbale thing so I couldn't resist.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa-Jade! :) Really trying to hold off from watching the film until I've read the book! It. Is. So. Hard!! hehehehe

      Delete
  9. Haha, never heard of this book, but I'll be sure to avoid it now!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I feel bad that everyone now wants to avoid it! Some of you may like it - this was just my opinion! :) There are some other really positive reviews about it so check them out too before you decide for sure!! Especially if you're a twitter maniac..... could work for you ;)

      Delete
  10. Oh... I did not know there is a book like that one..

    Would you like to follow each other on Bloglovin and GFC? Take a look into my blog and let me know! www.gwiyomistyle.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jade, I am sooooo the same way went it comes to finishing a book. I can't help it, it doesn't matter how hopeless and boring it is, I finish it. It sometimes takes me two months to finish because I'm avoiding it like Charlie Sheen avoids a drug test...! Im sorry for your loss...of time spent reading this one! You write novels..are you published!? How exciting! Oh and the movie The Perks...etc. was good, I mean the story was intriguing. I bet the book is too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahahahhaa loved your charlie sheen comment. had me laughing :)

      Delete
  12. I didn´t know about this book! thanks for sharing!
    muah*
    mariana

    http://asouthbreeze.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, didn't know there was such a book! I haven't read Perks of being a Wallflower, but I have heard it's really good - I loved the movie though :) Definitely watch it if you haven't already!

    www.doseofsprinkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard great things about Perks! The only "e-mail format" book I ever liked was this one by Meg Cabot, and her books are always a win with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Boys Got One or something... I read that years and years ago and also loved it! Meg Cabot is a genius! <3

      Delete
  15. Oh no no no no no, I'm just a twitter addict sometimes but of course not for sending DMs to guys, it's all about blogging promotion. This book you're going to try is so touchy! I'm sure you'll love. The poor boy!
    PS: Be sure to catch the film based on film!
    Areeba @ Aree With Umbrella

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks lady will definitely check you out :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade