Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Friday, July 5, 2013

Safe Haven - Movie Review



Another film absolutely ripped apart by Rotten Tomato reviewers / critics... Safe Haven would have been a pretty good movie to me had I not already read to book. 
With that being said: I am a die-hard, hopeless romantic and I LIKE the corny gag-fest material Spark's writes about! 
I am a woman. 
Enough said. 

Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, director Lasse Hallström did not do as well as he could have done in portraying important elements in this story that made it so special.
I don’t want to give anything away so I won’t go into detail but if you have read the (amazing) book then be prepared for disappointment. If you haven’t read the book however, A) I can’t be friends with you, B) you need to and C) you’ll probably love the film.


The only way I can really explain the disappointment is like this:
You know in the Harry Potter films they left out the character of Peeves the Poltergeist? He wasn’t a huge part of the HP books but he was memorable nonetheless. 
There is a lot in the movie Safe Haven that was left out or in my mind just not portrayed correctly!  

I love that this story is not just your typical rom-com. It has twists and turns and a nice thriller feel to it too which makes it unique to many of the other romances I've had the PLEASURE of watching lately along with a nice big glass of wine. And chocolate. And popcorn... and chocolate in my popcorn......... 

Moving on. 

One Rotten Tomato Critic, Stuart Barnes, had the following to say about this film:
"It's typical comfort food film-making and that's exactly what Safe Haven is: a mouthful of cotton candy. Empty, overly sweet, and likely to kill you from diabetes."

My take on that - semi-true. I just thought his comparison was hilarious and I just had to put it in! 

Let us just get down to the nitty and gritty... 
The film was not what I thought it was going to be and it did not do the delightful novel any justice. 

*

Anyway... my next post will my 200th!!!! I can't believe that I have been blogging for four years already!

Any idea what one should do for their 200th blog post??? 



post signature

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment on my blog :D

    This post is nice, I would like to see this movie!

    xoxo

    thelovelywildside.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good one...

    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. For once I think this is the only Nicholas Sparks book I did not read before going to see the movie. I probably should grab it but I loved the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, even though you know how it ends.. the book is so so good! Please read it xxx

      Delete
  4. I didn't read the book and I loved the movie (it is my kind of movie) :p
    But I totally get your disapointment...It happens to me whenever I read the book first!

    200th...That's a big number :)

    r: my boyfriend and my mum take my pictures!:)
    www.mykindofjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true - you an never beat the book! Never. I couldn't give you an example if I tried to!

      Lucky they take such nice pics!

      Delete
  5. I really want to watch this, but it hasn't appear in my local cinemas yet!

    http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you from??? It just got released here in South Africa and I was sure we were the last to get new movies hahahaha

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great film! I'll definitely watch it!
    Thanks for following me drea. I\m following your beautiful blog back

    Xx

    Alexandra


    www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!!
    It's almost always the same..if you've read the book the movie will be a bit disappointment...

    caughtinvogue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. its a pity but just makes reading a book so worth it :)

      Delete
  8. i've read the book but i am yet to see the film, looks amazing though!
    thinking-like-a-doll.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola! Hope you enjoy it when you do end up watching it xx

      Delete
  9. UNA GRAN PELICULA¡¡
    TE INVITO A PASAR POR MI BLOG YA TENG NUEVO POST
    ANIMATE A SEGUIRME ME HARIA MUCHA ILUSION

    Nuevo post en mi blog

    http://dolcevirginia.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/nos-vamos-al-mercado.html

    https://www.facebook.com/dolcebyvirginiasayago?ref=hl


    http://dolcevirginia.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the book too! I had the pleasure of reading it first and then finding out that it was going to be made into a movie. Honestly I would have to agree.. there was A LOT of differences. I understand why some things had to be different. But I find that when they change the appearance of characters .. that's just wrong! Wasn't Alex supposed to have grey hair!? It's like in The Shining.. the wife was supposed to be pretty and blonde and in the movie they make her a gawky brunette. I don't think those kinds of changes are necessary. Nope, nope. Also the ending BIG scene (without giving anything away) was also different. Whenever I read a book then watch the movie I can't help but be waiting for big, key parts to happen and when they don't.. I am disappointed!! Anyways.. the book was great. The movie was fun to watch, because like you said.. I am woman- hear me sluuurp back some yummy wine while watching this TOTAL chick flick!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Wright, I have not read Safe Haven, but i watched the movie and I must admit I loved it! Even my Mr enjoyed it. Now, if I was still in CX I would borrow it from you so that we could still be friends :P
    Love your blog as always Jadie, makes the distance a little less harsh. I miss you my dearest. Oh, I keep sending love and kisses to you when I speak to my mum, make sure she delivers :)

    Love you always, keep the amazing posts coming <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade