Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Spaghetti Aglio Olio Peperoncino

My mum spent the entire day in bed yesterday. I can't say I blamed her, it was a horribly stormy winter's day. The ultimate weather to stay snuggled up in pajama's and under the covers. It also helps that she had these four big babies entrapping her:


Their names are India, Guru, Striker and Mini Minx. Coolest cats in the world!
(Yes... I am aware that them sprawled out across a leopard print blanket is slightly sadistic....)

Anyway - as it's just the two of us at home at the moment, I felt like spoiling her with some lunch in bed (she had breakfast in bed too, by the way! Lucky lady...) so I went off to the shops and bought a few small ingredients as well as a delicious bottle of Nederburg wine and set to work in my kitchen. 

The dish I decided to make for us was a vegetarian pasta typically known as: Spaghetti Aglio Olio Peperoncino... also known as: Pretty Much The Best Damn Pasta In The World. 
I can also tell you why I believe that: 
A) The ingredients (which I will list below) are all common things found in even the most simplistic kitchen. 
B) If you do not have one of the ingredients, absolutely everything you need is dirt cheap anyway!
C) It's quick and filling! What more do you need?

Ingredients
Serves 2
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 Big Red Chili's, Chopped Ruggedly
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, Diced
  • Spaghetti 
  • A Handful of Fresh Parsley
  • A Handful of Bread Crumbs
  • A Bottle of Your Preferred Wine! (not optional)
Start by preparing all of your ingredients while the spaghetti boils away for roughly 8 minutes (until cooked al dente). 
Destalk parsley and tear the leaves roughly up with your fingers and put them into a dry pan. 
Add in a handful of bread crumbs which you can find at nearly any bakery you try for as little as 50p. 
Then put this dry pan onto the stove and cook until the crumbs turn golden brown.



Ruggedly chop through chili's and dice up the garlic cloves before putting them into a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the stove. 
You have to be really careful at this point not to burn your garlic because if you do it will give the dish a bitter taste. 
Once the garlic and chili's are cooked through you can drain your spaghetti (leaving a few ladles of pasta water to prevent dryness if necessary). Mix the spaghetti into your pan with the chili and garlic with the stove on low heat. 
Grind in some salt and pepper to your liking.




Now take your other pan with the bread crumbs and parsley and mix these ingredients all together thoroughly. 

Dish up your plates and add a fresh parsley leaf on top as garnish. 
Serve immediately. 


I first had this pasta in Venice. A friend of mine, Tom, told me it was an amazing pasta and I really wasn't sure that I believed him. How could it be??? There's so little ingredients and no meat.... but boy did he prove me wrong. This is by far the yummiest, tastiest, most incredible pasta and I will make it again and again! Particularly when I'm just cooking for myself at home! Perfect meal for one. 


post signature

19 comments:

  1. love it! always make this when i have limited supplies in the pantry to make anything else. yours looks very amazing! thank you for the recipe, going to try to make it this way.

    xoxo
    1finedai.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is so simple.. I'll have to give it a try! Yum. I am loving the recipe posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haley - really excited to hear your thoughts on it if you do make it this week and would love a link to that shrimp recipe you were telling me about! <3

      Delete
    2. I bought the ingredients for it today. I'm making it Tuesday or Wednesday!

      Delete
  3. This pasta looks amazing, definitely going to give it a try this week!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eloise, really hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!

      Delete
  4. SOOOO many adorable cats? I'm officially naming you a cat lady , or perhaps you're already? ;)
    I love pasta so much so this one is a BIG yum!
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I know I am an absolute crazy cat lady! Its official :)

      Delete
  5. I really want to surrounded by cats! Sweet meows.
    This recipe looks so easy peazy. Won't mind cooking for the whole family!
    Areeba @ Aree With Umbrella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its so cold in your part of land, its so hot and sunny in india...
    Ur kitties, so cute,.. Ur mum's really lucky.. Breakfast and lunch in bed... :)
    Pasts looks yum..
    m on instagram now, lets follow each other there..
    http://instagram.com/beingbeautifulpooja
    Keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to travel to India soon and see the majestic beauty and experience the culture and religion... it must be absolutely incredible.
      I will definitely follow you on instagram x

      Delete
  7. I don't think I'd ever get out of bed if I had 4 fur babies!! You are an awesome daughter treating your mom to such a yummy meal. The pasta looks amazing . Hope you had a great weekend dear xoxo

    http://dixielu302.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tough getting out of bed... especially when the stripey one (India) is snuggled into me. She's my little angel hehehe
      Thanks for the comment lady x

      Delete
  8. cute cats, I'm a vet :D yummy home made meal is making me hungry ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow must be amazing to be a vet! Thanks very much for the comment and support xx

      Delete
  9. Thanks Olia I will definitely check out your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. remember eating that almost every lunch time with Angus! Warren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum!
    I'm a vegetarian myself and it's so hard finding a decent recipe that:
    a) Is easy to make
    b) Doesn't contain 5,000 ingredients
    c) Actually tastes good

    I'll definitely give this one a go on the weekend!

    http://christiestakeonlife.blogspot.com.au/
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade