Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green | Book Review

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.



Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love. 

Blurb taken from: Amazon

This is literally the process of reading The Fault In Our Stars



It was impossible not to want to read The Fault In Our Stars. This book (and movie) got so much hype that even someone that isn't much of a reader got intrigued. 

I'm a slow reader. It literally takes me about a month to finish a book because I'm always so busy with juggling a full-time job,studying journalism, writing my second novel and being a girlfriend. 
Even so, everything else took a backseat as I picked up this book. By the end of the first night, I'd already devoured half of it! That has never happened to me before. 

When I started to read it, I was really skeptical. Cancer and illnesses petrify me. I like to pretend that if I ignore them then they don't exist. After very nearly losing my dad last year, it is a very tender topic for me but I battled through in the hopes of there being beauty in the pain and inspiration in the pages of heartache.
Well, there was all of that and more.

Just because this book is about a sixteen year old girl called Hazel Grace who is falling in love for the first time while she battles through a cancer-ridden life - that in no way means that the target market is sixteen year old girls. I'm going into my mid-twenties and this book touched my heart in so many ways. It is such a special novel that anyone, man or woman could enjoy, no matter what age. 

Hazel is surviving thyroid cancer on a miracle drug which author, John Green, makes very clear does not exist in the back pages of the book once the story comes to the end (if only it did...). 
She is drowning not only literally in her own dysfunctional lungs but also in a painful depression that worries her family and the doctors treating her. 
She walks around attached to a oxygen tank and carting around a cannula every day of her life, with tubes up her nostrils and her head buried in books if not religiously following reality TV shows.  

In an effort to have her daughter make friends, Hazel's mum begs her to go to a Cancer Support Group instead of lounging in front of the television, watching America's Next Top Model marathons all day long. It is there that she meets the charismatic, blue-eyed boy, Augustus Waters, who (spoiler alert but pretty inevitably!) changes her life. 

Have you ever been in love with your best friend? 
It's an infinite and unconditional love. Deeper than all others. That is what Augustus and Hazel structured between themselves, among their meaningful conversations that were well beyond their years
They shared a never ending love that was raw and real; that showed appreciation, support and strength like no other I have seen before. A bond that is so rare that some only ever dream of experiencing it. 

Reading their story was the perfected balance between heart-wrenching and heart-warming - with characters you can't help but fall in love with. 

It is beautiful yet infuriating all at once. 

Green's writing shows you a deeper side to teen literature. So often these days the shelves are crammed with awful teenage ramblings that is pretty vile to be blatantly honest - Green has finally broken past that barrier and with palm forward literally said, 'In Your Face!' 


If a novel could be poetry - this would be it. 

Now I cannot WAIT to watch the film!!! 
Have you seen it or read the book? What were your thoughts on them? 


post signature






10 comments:

  1. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS HOLY BALLS!
    I took my boyfriend to see the movie, aaaannnnnddddd...
    ..he cried. Like. A lot. This is a dude who never ever cries, THAT'S how beautiful it was. You'll love it.
    I haven't ready the book yet, but I'm getting it for Christmas and I can't wait to read it!

    Much love. xx
    christiestakeonlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would love it!!! There is something really special about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanna read this one, I know it's gonna be lots of tears but I love books like this one!!!
    And I know what it feels like to be in love with your best friend (my hubby) ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read it, but somehow I already expected the guy will die in the end. I cried more during the movie though. Maybe because I can see their pain there. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Jade! This has been a beyond busy month, but I am vowing to get two books read over my break from work later this month! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried my eyes out when I completed the book. That "Okay? Okay." is still SO ALIVE in my head. I have never been a fangirl to anything before but TFIOS got me. I haven't watched the movie yet because I don't want to watch it on small screen and the cinemas in Karachi aren't gonna show it till new year. I have been waiting just to go & watch it on cinema screen.

    Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jade I loved this book so much, I completely agree, it's like the longest most beautiful poem I've ever read. It's torturous and sad, but you want more.

    I also watched the film, after reading the book and I have to be honest, I was disappointed, only because it didn't match up with the images that had been created in my imagination. I mean has a film really ever been better than the book? It was a good movie overall but it did not touch me deeply like the words in the book did.

    Happy Weekend Jade!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I agree, it's not possible to not want to read it! I watched the movie on my flight to Australia and cried like a child in front of all th people on the plane ;)
    I definitely want to read the book because the book is always better than the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Sounds like a tearjerker for sure! Thanks for the review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched the movie like two weeks ago and needless to say, I cried a lot. To be brave, I watched more than half of it on my phone at work so all the people around distracted me from feeling weepy but by the time I got to the last half hour, office was empty and I started howling Lol. xx
    June Wants It All

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade