Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky | Book Review

"Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up."



The Perks of Being a Wallflower has been on my bookshelf for months. I'm not quite sure why it has taken me this long to read it as I had always heard such great things about it... especially since the film was released. 

The book is written in the form of letters from a freshman called Charlie, to his anonymous 'friend.' It is set in the 90's which also adds a special quality to it if you can remember your childhood in those days. A sense of nostalgia will wrap around you like a blanket as you turn each page and remember something from your past. 

It was a very easy and quick read because it was so raw. Chbosky tackles absolutely every young adult issue you could possibly face from sexuality, drugs, depression, suicide, death and sex. Although so many issues are addressed throughout the course of the book, it is done in a way that isn't overwhelming to you. He does so in a way that you will always find some way to relate to it and that's what makes this book so beautiful and special. Whatever struggles and hardships you have faced or currently are facing, this book will understand what you are going through. You will read something in the letters that makes you believe that this book was truly written for you.


The thing about The Perks of Being a Wallflower is that it made feelings that I'd long since buried, resurface. That is not necessarily a bad thing but it scared me how much I could relate to Charlie, the key character. His thoughts and emotions were everything that I have felt before but couldn't put into words - so when I read something that summed it all up perfectly, it was an odd sensation... a combination of clarity and deep-rooted sadness.

Excerpt from the book: 
"It's kind of like when you look at yourself in the mirror and you say your name. And it gets to a point where none of it seems real. Well, sometimes, I can do that, but I don't need an hour in front of a mirror. It happens very fast, and things start to slip away. And I just open my eyes, and I see nothing. And then I start to breathe really hard trying to see something, but I can't. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it scares me."

I fell in love with each and every character in this book and found their acceptance of each other something truly beautiful.

Here are some of my favorite parts from the book. I haven't seen the film yet but I've decided I'm going to rent it this weekend - I truly can't wait:

This is something that I really found myself relating to... one of the pieces of writing from Chbosky that really hit home for me.

This was a part in the book that awakened my adventurous spirit, not that it is ever really asleep... but it is also the part in the book that I found to be the most beautiful.

True. True. True.





This sums who I am up, perfectly.



My Canadian friend, Adrian, sent me this quote months before I read the book..... and I only truly understand it now. Thank you.

This really is the raw truth... isn't it?? Maybe not towards everyone you know.... and maybe you'll only understand this quote once you've picked up the book.... you'll gain a deeper understanding of pretty much everything in life once you've read this book.


Throughout the course of the book you quickly realize that Charlie has a problem, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. It is only revealed right at the end - and it is extremely heartbreaking but it is like the missing puzzle piece that just fits everything together so perfectly. The book ends exactly where it should end - the story is drawn to a stunning close and the curtains drape over you - a sense of peace fulfills you.

Over all, this book is just beautiful - and one that every person, man or woman, should read in their lifetime.
It's a real treasure on my bookshelf.  
post signature

37 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're very happy with this book- I am yet to read it, but it's definitely on my "must reads" list. I've heard just SO many good things about it! xx

    Sharlotte //

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please read it when you can! Everyone should at some stage x

      Delete
  2. Ahh I saw the movie and it's great - with Emma in it, it's got to be, right?! haha!
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.blogspot.co.uk 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's actually the first time I've seen Watson in anything other than the HP films - it was great to see her playing a different role.

      Delete
  3. Hey :) I love your blog so I nominated you for an award over on mine!

    http://jaderosa.blogspot.co.nz x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been trying to learn how to write a book review ( English is not my mother tongue) so I learn a lot reading on your blog this book review. Thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only a pleasure! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I would like to read it!!!!!!!!!
    Have a lovely day doll!!!
    Kisses from Italy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the lovely comment <3
    I'm following you now (:

    Hope to see more from you, because your blog is amazing!

    Alina à la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easily one of my favorite books.
    www.kierramakayla.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kierra! I agree completely, fantastic book.

      Delete
  8. great post! :)
    you've got a lovely blog!
    would you love to follow each other? we could follow via GFC or via email and also on another socials like twitter instagram or lookbook

    just let me know on my blog :)

    xoxo
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cecilia! Loved your blog too.. new follower x

      Delete
  9. This is one of my favorite books! I first read it back in high school, and I try and re-read it about once a year. It is a powerful book, but like you said, it's not overwhelming. I also enjoyed the movie. The actors did an excellent job. I prefer the book over the movie, but usually that's how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I didn't realize the book had been out for such a long time!

      Agree completely with you - book is far better but the movie was great too!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fab read! Enjoy watching the movie!!! xo T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina. I am watching it this evening <3 x

      Delete
  11. I saw the movie and I really, really enjoyed it. I cried when I found out about Charlie at the end and I would LOVE to read this book. It is seriously FILLED with amazing, mindful, moving quotes. This is a definite must read to add to my kindle. Thanks Jade for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am watching the movie tonight Haley - I cannot wait!
      I almost cried too - but in the book he talks about his experience in a positive way. It's incredible...

      Thank you Haley! The book really is amazing - so happy I finally watched it and I also am going to do a movie review to confirm which is better, the book or movie... but I already think I know the book will take the cake! :)

      Delete
  12. I haven't read the book yet (shame on me!) but I've seen the movie and it was really good - I can imagine that the book is even better.

    Tamara's Blend

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow i am curious tor ead it now!
    very good post honey
    xoxo

    Syriously in Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thx for the follow and the sweet comment on my blog following back on GFC #285
    Sorry no other social medias yet.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! This is such a great post! I've never enjoyed reading a blog post as much as I enjoyed reading this one. I must read the book, it sounds great!
    Cliona x

    www.clionahill.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a nice compliment!! Thank you so much!! :)

      Delete
  16. Wonderful blog you have <3

    Well I was wondering if we could follow each other via bloglovin,facebook, gfc, instagram and g+? Do visit my blog and let me know!! :)
    http://www.myglossyaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking out your blog now. Thank you for stopping by x

      Delete
  17. Sounds like you're very happy with this book!!!

    Stay in touch with me on BLOGLOVIN

    Love,
    FASHIONHYPNOTISED

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hola guapa, tienes un blog estupendo e interesante. Te sigo de vuelta. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade