Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nostalgia kicked in and so did a rather deep and personal playlist

Ever have those nights where sitting alone with your thoughts in a shut off room is all you want?

I listen to music not for the way the artists voice sounds or the melody.. I am slightly deeper than that. The music I listen to I like because of the lyrics.
The reason I turn Windows Media Player on in the mornings or after work is to find inspiration or hope in the words being poured from the speakers into my soul. An easy to listen to, pleasurable voice is of course a bonus for me... I believe to sing meaningful lyrics you need to have respect for the words. You need to believe in what your saying and say it with confidence...

Tonight I padded into the kitchen, barefoot with an unstoppable craving for hot chocolate. After being momentarily satisfied with my quick brew, I retired for the evening to my little boudoir.
Depending on my mood each and every day, I make playlists to get me through whatever is eating away at me that day.

A lot of the time I never really figure out what it is that is eating at me - but the music puts my troubled mind to rest. Music is soothing and relaxing and everything that I need in my life to make it complete.

The Cure's incredible cover of Tainted Love originally recorded by Gloria Jones in 1964, Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm by the Crash Test Dummies, Colorblind by Counting Crows...
They are but some of my favourite songs.

Yoav, who I met in Knysna (there should be a post somewhere in my tangled mess of blog entries on my meeting with him...)
Believe it or not, after a day of pure disappointment of meeting one of my musical heroes who was only interested in a skinny blond harp player and completely ignored what must be one of his clichéd biggest fans... he actually ended up apologising and serenaded me around a camp fire, singing my ultimate favourite from his beautiful collection, 'One by One'...
Although I was always a huge fan of his work, I'm not one to watch music videos.
I prefer closing my eyes and listening to the songs. I wish we could do that with our love lives. I wish we could all close our eyes and talk to people... find interest and love in someone from what they have to say, For who they are, not for who they appear to be. Not for their sex appeal....
Anyway - my point being that as I had never actually WATCHED Yoav's performances, only listened, I didn't know that all those beautiful drum-like taps throughout his acoustic guitar and miracle of voice is him tapping the guitar with him fingertips. He's amazing. Such a talent and I am so proud and boastful about the fact that South Africa has so many amazing artists born and bred here.
Elvis Blue, Prime Circle, The Parlotones... I could go on, but they aren't featured in tonight's playlist.
Though the following artists are.. and they are well worth a listen. Especially if you are in one of those nostalgia-ridden moods as I am tonight.



 Bethany Joy Lenz - a young woman introduced to me by a very amazing television show called One Tree Hill. Not only is she incredibly talented, she also has her head in the right places. Her music means something to me, it could mean something to you too.
Deep dark secret: I have a tendency to belt out her music with my volume cranked up to 30 after a glass of wine or two.....

 Bright Eyes.. What can I say? I don't really think the actual songs are very good to be honest; but the lyrics are beautiful, raw truth. The truth that it gives us if we are willing to overlook the exterior is a blessing. Even if you just google the lyrics and read them in your own time, it will change your life.

The Counting Crows... God. Lets just say after 'Cruel Intentions' I was hooked. Enough said.

 Death Cab For Cutie - I cannot even remember what age it was when I started listening to these guys; but they have helped me through some of my darkest hours. I Will Possess Your Heart is a recent favourite of mine, I just love the long intro. I love how you have to get through four and a half minutes and pure rhythm before a word is said. When I find songs that I adore that contain no lyrics, I know it must be pretty special.

That's always the thing about blogs... you could have all of these great ideas and write manically... but the start and the end of your post is always a tricky one.
How do you start a blog post and instantly hook peoples attention?
How do end a blog post and leave the reader wanting more?

Usually the start of my entries are fairly simple.. I just start. Ending is a different story though. When do you stop? I could carry on writing forever... especially after all the creativity mulling around in my head after the above playlist has worked its magic.

I guess all I can say is that's all I have for you tonight.
Keep reading beautiful people, for your time is something I am so unbelievably appreciative of.

Keep a look out for my post on my camping trip which took place last night... its a work in progress and I am still fiddling with all the awesome photographs I captured.

Sweetest Dreams World.

Signing Out.
Jade.

1 comment:

  1. So I know this post is old BUT I just have to say, One Tree Hill is my favourite series. I'm so sad it ended but I will always love Haley and Nathan (always and forever lol) Her voice is absolutely amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade