Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Friday, January 9, 2015

My Fitness Journey | Week One (and a little update on The Other Woman)


Howdy Ya'll.

I am feeling PUMPED!!!

On Monday this week I started the USN 12 Week Body Makeover Challenge. I didn't do it to lose weight - but to get toned and fit. See, I am blessed with a pretty 'alright' body. I've got my stretchmarks and wobbly bits, some cellulite and a little pouch just like everyone else. But I have been wanting to feel better about myself - healthy body, healthy mind, you know?

So... here's a little insight into my first week:

Monday:

Popped the USN tablets, shook up a protein shake and faced day one head on. I even used the juicer to make a delicious breakfast juice containing beetroot, celery, strawberries, cucumber, lemon, ginger, garlic, spring onion, apple, carrot and pretty much anything else that I could find to blend up! It sounds ghastly - but truthfully it was freaking divine.

I minimized my coffee intake to just ONE cup which is huge for me - I glugged that back at work and then had about five bottles of water throughout the day. You're supposed to drink about 8 cups of water daily and I've always struggled to keep to that - but I'm making a bigger effort now.

No crisps or chocolate entered my mouth today. BIG high five for me. Instead, I munched on a soft boiled egg for breakie, an apple as a snack and a bowl of leftover tuna pasta salad that I'd made for Sam over the weekend.

When 5pm came, I grabbed my adorable bright pink 1kg dumbbells and laced up my trainers. I ran around the island I live on WITH my dumbbells. I can't believe I'd been considering rather getting the 2kg dumbbells........... I had NO idea what a difference those little pink weights would make to my workout!

After the run I did some sets of lunges, squats, calve raises and stomach crunches - by the end of it, in the 30degree heat, it looked like I'd been swimming! PHEW!!! I have never sweated that much in my life.

The USN instructions say that you need to have two of the Low GI, High Protein Shakes a day but seriously, I struggle to finish ONE.
Don't get me wrong... They taste delicious. I got the chocolate flavour and it's pretty much like a chocolate milkshake, so it isn't that. It's just so filling that I can't have two of them!

I went out for dinner on Monday evening and had a small portion of thai green curry - even though the book says you should try and stay away from starch in the evenings... that's just not going to be possible for me! I love my rice, potatoes and pasta's. I don't eat big portions though and with the exercise I am sure it will be OK.

I was too full after the curry to think about having the other USN product, the Protein Dessert. So I gave that a skip. I'm not really a dessert person anyway!

Tuesday: 

Learning my lesson from almost dying of heat exercising at 5pm on Monday - I kicked myself out of bed at 6am on Tuesday morning and went for my run (without the dumbbells this time).
I picked the dumbbells up after the run and did some more squats and lunges though not as many as on Monday because I was starting to feel a bit of stiffness in my muscles. USN said that would be the case while your body adjusts. 

After work I had my friend Ashley's farewell party and I treated myself to a glass of red wine while out with him and some other good chums.



I found that exercising in the mornings is SO much more convenient for me because in the evenings there's just so much else to get done - but a run after work does help shake off the day.

Again I just couldn't bring myself to have the second protein shake or the protein dessert.

Wednesday:

By Wednesday, my body and poor muscles were in complete and utter shock - so I took a days break from exercising but still kept on with one protein shake and the tablets you need to take.

I did however demolish a bottle of KWV Cabernet Sauvignon by myself...... blush..... while I wrote about ten pages of my second novel while munching on some salted popcorn (hey, it's better than crisps!)



I completely forgot to take my two CLA Pure 1000 tablets after dinner though which was a bit of an oopsy. They are basically a non-stimulant weight control supplement that supports the metabolic process. You're supposed to take it right after you've had breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The protein dessert remained sealed and untouched in my USN 12 Week Body Makeover Challenge starter kit.....

I did have a wonderful soak in a hot bath to soothe my aching muscles though.


Thursday:


After a days rest, I decided I needed to get my exercise kit on again. You're supposed to exercise 3-5 times per week so I wanted to keep up the dedication... although I won't lie, I was feeling lazy this morning and it was hard to get out of bed.

When my alarm went off at 05:30am, I (reluctantly) got dressed and popped my two Phreda-Cut Lipo-XT tablets with a glass of water. They are fat-loss activators that work in improving your metabolism as well as breaking down stored-fat into energy. You take them 30mins before you eat breakfast and lunch.

I started the morning with x50 stomach crunches, followed by x40 lunges on each leg (ow..... they are still stiff and wobbly), x50 squats (again, my poor legs suffered in unholy pain) and ended with about x50 calve raises.
Calve raises are devious things..... they start off so easy and coax you into thinking it's nothing - then suddenly the burning sensation creeps up on you and you're stuffed. Phew!!!
I went for yet another run around the island with my dog trotting along behind me then did some stretches, made my precious one cup of filter coffee for the day and enjoyed a couple of grapes and an apple before getting ready for work.
Before I left for work (listening to some good old Bob Marley along my drive,) I swallowed the two CLA Pure 1000 tablets which are GINORMOUS .... and with my delightful gag reflex it's a wonderful time in my day to get them down my throat.

At work I sipped on green tea and a bottle of ice cold water. I'd packed a carrot, a green apple, a tin of tuna and some biltong to get me through the day along with my protein shake. The protein shake is good for you as it protects muscle tissue and promotes weight management.  

I was a liiiiiiiittle bit naughty today - there was a birthday boy at work so we had cake - but I only cut myself a small piece to be fair. The cake and sugar didn't make me feel great.

I soaked in a bath for close to three hours on Thursday night, writing The Other Woman
I can't believe it's so close to being finished!! 
Such exciting times lie ahead. 

The average novel should be between 70'000 - 80'000 words... 
The Other Woman is now sitting on a cozy 60'000. 
Although I don't really agree with focusing too much on the word count when it comes to writing, it's still a great feeling to know how close I am to finishing!
The actual story is almost complete - nearly everything I have wanted to share is there, weaved into the pages. 

I was asked recently if I write every day and if so, how much....
well, to answer the questions... no, I don't write every day. 
I don't force writing - and when I do write, I just let it flow.

So many people I know set limits or goals. 
Some say 500 words is enough to get them through the day, some say 1000. 
I've been trying to see on average how much I do write in one sitting and really it completely depends... some days it is just 500 words. Some days it's 5000!

My second novel!!! 

I cannot wait to share it with you all!!


Friday:

I had the best of intentions to get up bright and early this morning and head out for a run..... but I woke up feeling so lazy. So I stayed in bed cuddling my cat and reading my book.

Fail.

My appetite seems to be gone. Last night I had one beef kebab and that was it - and this morning I could barely work my way through a fruit smoothie.
Sam says he thinks its the USN pills that is suppressing my appetite.

Crisps have always been my biggest weakness - but while in the grocery store this morning before work, I realized that I actually really didn't want any crisps! Nor chocolate... nor anything really.
I settled on my cranberries and nuts along with a high energy bar though because I know I need to eat.

My weight always staggers from about 49.7 - 51kg but in this week alone I stepped on the scale and was 49.1kg.

Like I said, I'm not doing this to lose weight. I'm doing it to tone up and get definition. So I think my kg's will more than likely go up again as I start building some muscle.

As for this weekend, well you are supposed to take a break from the USN Phedra-Cut Lipo-XT tablets over the weekend but still carry on with the CLA Pure 1000.
I didn't exercise today, so tomorrow I think I'm going to try and go for a run around the island nice and early and maybe even a swim in the lagoon.

Who knows - I just need a break this weekend though. I'm absolutely drained from work and in need of a holiday. Malawi is close though - so the holiday is around the corner.

That's week one down.... and 11 more to go! 


8 comments:

  1. you're killing it! i love it. our fitness routines are similar as well--it is insane how much sweat you can work up from leg and ab work. I'm still hurting from an ab workout I did on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first couple weeks is always the hardest, creating new habits and all. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like you are doing very well. It made me tired just reading this. Haha! Seriously, though, good luck. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful update !! Keeping on track and giving it your all is so great.

    I am so proud of you and your novels ! So inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so busy, thats amazing!!!
    Your blog is quite amazing dear!
    Beautiful pictures and great design! Love it!
    Would really appreciate if we would follow each other on GFC, G+ and BL, so that we can keep in touch!
    Let me know in a comment and I follow right back :D

    xoxo Colli || TOBEYOUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing great already. I have started my squats and I have been planning to take them along, hopefully. Also, I will start my walking schedule too. So please, keep being my hero or something ;) I am so excited for you, I am sure your new book will be a hit. Good luck girlie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, I am so super proud of you! Not only that you did lots of exercises, kept the diet but you also kept sense of humour!
    I love this post and I will wait for more info about the progress :)
    stay focused and have fun!!!
    xoxox
    Anja

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade