Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Trying Out This Whole Keto / Intermittent Fasting Thing.....

Holy crap... I didn't think I could do it but I did!
I have survived 33 hours and COUNTING on a diet.
I've decided that keto for the most part perks my interest because I mean.... cheese, bacon and certain alcoholic beverages are acceptable. Yes!!

Look, not having my evening shiraz is going to be rough... but lately it really has hit me that my drinking needs to be tamed. I guess to be honest I've been self-medicating with wine to help me through the rough times lately and with my family history of alcoholism I really want to get it under control before it's too late like my mother. 
I'm waiting for my copy of The Alcohol Experiment by Annie Grace to arrive from the bookstore. 
No idea how it's going to be but thought it would be a fun way to gain back some health and document it along the way. 

So look, I'm not giving up drinking or junk food entirely so I'm probably doing this completely wrong but I'm just navigating my way through this my own way and I'm interested to see the results.

Yesterday I had a black coffee, 23 almonds, and celery with a hummus dip during the day and then in the evening I had a keto omlette including 3 eggs, diced bacon, sliced brown mushroom, chopped asparagus, a red birds eye chili, grated cheddar cheese and freshly chopped chives from my herb garden. 
Supposedly that was just over 700 calories for the day which is below the minimum requirement to be healthy so I thought I was off to a good start but apparently not! 
I'm having the same keto omlette for lunch today. I made it this morning and have packed it in a container to take it to work. 
I'm THAT motivated to lose the pouch I've formed around my stomach that while testing out keto I am also doing intermittent fasting. This is PETRIFYING for me because I am a nibbler. I get anxiety if there isn't food close by. 
The 16 hour intermittent fasting plan seems to be the easiest one I could potentially commit to. Basically you skip breakfast (daunting!), and limit your eating hours between 8 hours. 
I've chosen to eat between 12-8pm because I always eat relatively early anyway! 
It's currently 10:30am and my stomach is gurgling.... probably going into shock from the lack of food but I've had two cups of Slim herbal tea which suppresses your appetite and am chugging a liter of water down. 
1.5 hours to go until I get to eat my omlette..... but hey... whose counting???

Supposedly a nice dry cab sav is alright every so often but the more common drinks include vodka with soda water and a slice of lime, gin, rum... the pure stuff that's far too strong for me haha.
If there's anything this research has taught me it's that the alcohol itself isn't what I love. 
I don't necessarily have the craving for ALCOHOL... 
I just love wine. 
I would never drink as much as I used to if I was only allowed vodka or gin. 
They're ok every now and then but it's just not what I enjoy. 
Wine to me is a bit more indulgent and romantic in a sense.... vineyards are far more beautiful to gin distilleries. 
A wine glass feels elegant and classy rather than a tumbler. 
It's a personal preference and it's been interesting getting to know myself through this research really.

I'll admit keto is never going to work for me 100% of the time. 
Hah! 
I wish I had the motivation to cut potatoes, rice, proper pasta and wine out completely but they are things that make me happy! 
I know there are substitutes... cauliflower etc but it's not the same for me! 
So everything in moderation is the way I'm going to look at it and hey, if my body gets used to the lack of filling carbs it's used to then fair dinkum as they say here in Australia! 
I definitely couldn't limit myself to the recommended 1 glass of wine if you want to have a drink though!
Pah!
Have you met me??? 
Instead I'm just going to try and cut it out during the weeks except for special occasions and enjoy it on the weekends while trying to monitor the amounts more closely... perhaps have a cut off but Australia is a very social country and drinking is bigger here especially on the weekends. 

Anyway - so that's my update.
I did a lovely charcoal purifying face mask last night and had a chamomile tea while reading a historical romance novel and believe me NONE of that is the Jade everyone knows. But it felt good.... so maybe there is hope for me after all. 



post signature

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! And I read Next Year in Havana and I loved it! I'm hoping to start the next book called When We Left Cuba soon. I'm anxious to hear how you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so conflicted by Next Year in Havana! I am really enjoying the historical side of things and learning about the revolution and how Cuba suffered but I cannot take the love at first sight dribble.... but then I'm not usually a romance reader!

      Delete
  2. Amazing post! I'd love to see more:)
    Love all the recipe!

    - Marina W
    http://www.waitmarinawho.com/2019/05/you-should-see-me-in-crown-summer-music.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I don't think I could ever hold to the keto diet it's just a bit too restrictive for my liking, but I do like to intermittent 12 hour fast and limit myself to eating from 8am-8pm.

    - Avalon from www.simplyavalon.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I heard the Keto Diet works. It works b/c it tricks your body in to burning fat first instead of last. Though it is something to ease into, get to your goal weight and then do a modified version of it long term.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade