Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

22 Jump Street | Movie Review



Why oh WHY are sequels to movies always so awful??? I cannot actually recall one film that busted out a follow up that was better than the first.

On Sunday last week, in my tragically hungover state (my dog died, so I got absolutely trollied at a 60th Hawaiian themed birthday party on Saturday night,) I finally dragged my ass out of bed and headed to the video store. 

I was so excited when I saw that this film was still available because I adored the first one. I liked it because it was just a little bit of everything all rolled into one. Action, comedy, drama and even a sugar-coated slice of romance. 

The film is based on the 1987 TV series called 21 Jump Street and follows two (really shitty) police officers oozing with ''Bro-mance'' who are assigned a case where they have to go undercover in high school. Their mission is to find the supplier of a new drug that's been released and arrest him.

It's the typical duo of an overweight nerd who hated high school the first time round and the muscular, no-brains jock that reveled in it. Together - they are legen-wait for it - dary.  

I laughed SO hard in the first film and gushed about how amazing the second one would be to my bearded fellow, getting him just as eager to give it a watch. 

It's about now that I should probably inform you of my impeccable track-record for choosing the absolute WORST movies. All the time. It's actually not even funny anymore. 

So, after downing two glasses of Southern Comfort and Lime to try and revive me to some form of life - we meandered back to his cozy little cabin where we plopped the movie into his playstation.

We ended up switching it off. We didn't even finish it. 

It was awful. 

Again, the duo are back in action as undercover cops - still chasing narcotics and suppliers. This time they get dunked into college after a student dies from taking another new drug on the scene. Their mission, once again, is to catch the supplier and stop the outbreak of the drug. 

It was beyond lame. 

I actually didn't find one part of this film remotely funny. 

I mean seriously, it was actually cringe-worthy what a flop it was. I think that the success of the first one led the team to try way to hard with the second film. They layered on the jokes, not one of them being any good. It was homophobic and odd - just a very, very strange film that I couldn't endure for more than an hour. 

Look, the cast, Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum, are great. 



They are both fantastic actors and both of them I really enjoy but the film-makers definitely rode this wave thinking that because of these two actors (flourishing with chemistry on-set together,) the movie would be an instant hit.
Well, it wasn't. 
It felt as though the actors were weighed down on the poor, identical story-line and nauseating attempted humor poured into every scene.

I am usually not one to do reviews on things I didn't really enjoy - whether it be a movie or a book, a place or a product. I prefer to focus solely on the good and recommend great things to you guys - it's one of the things I love most about blogging: being able to share fantastic things with you all and hearing your thoughts and feedback... but, every so often, I feel I need to pre-warn you about certain things that you really shouldn't bother wasting your time with. 

I know it will bite me in the ass one day. Hey, I'm a writer with a book out myself. I know there are going to be awful reviews out about my work one day too. Critics who hate it and make it known. It's never a nice feeling. You pour your heart and soul into something and dedicate your life to it only to have the finished product be ripped to shreds - I do feel awful about doing bad reviews - but you know what? It has to be done. 

Have you seen this film?
If so, what were your thoughts on it? 
Do you share my view - or did you see something else in it? 

Discussion time.... GO:
post signature

8 comments:

  1. I have not seen this. Thank you for warning me about it. It will save me the time and trouble of watching it. I don't know why it is, but I agree that movie sequels almost never live up to the success of the original movie. I can think of only two examples where I liked the sequels as well as the originals: Back to the Future and Toy Story. I'm sure there are probably others, but it does seem to me that they are few and far between.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Pets are such a part of the family for me. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did like the movie. However, I preferred 21 Jump Street. I watched it in cinema so many had more fun that way? I liked the cheesy humour and Channing Tatum and Dave Franco are eye candy - so I was happy! :P
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.com | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog 

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so incredibly sorry to hear about your dog :( *big hugs*. Was your dog ill or was it something completely random and unexpected?

    My deepest condolences xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO BUMMED to read this, I've been looking forward to seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´m so sorry about your dog, hope you feel better now. I just just first part of movie and I really liked it, like you said, it was very funny and relaxing at the same time. Pitty that second part is not so good. Thanks for your warning,the reviews on bad things are also needed, so we know what not to watch/buy. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry your dog died Jade! Sending you virtual hugs.

    I have not seen this nor do I have any plans to, I have to be honest, I never saw the first one either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry to hear about your dog, Jade. Our pets are truly like members of the family and I know it's got to be a painful time for you. This is one film I'm definitely gonna avoid. Life's too short to watch a horrid film! Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw the first one and it was great! Wondered how they could do a second one to top the first one! So glad I didn't see it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade