Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Movie Review

Two nights ago I sat down with my family (three generations down,) and watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. 

There had been major chit-chat about this new romantic comedy so my expectations were pretty high. 
How could they not be with such a great cast?
Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench to name only a few of the British actors took on rolls of retirees lured to a captivating resort in India. 
Unfortunately they soon discover that the place had been photo-shopped to envision the hopeful future of the hotel upon their arrival.  
Starting out as disapproving, ripped-off golden oldies, slowly they begin to accept the hotel and grow together - making the most of what they have. 

Maggie Smith delivers an excellent roll of a sour, lifeless woman needing a hip transplant with a blatant disregard for anyone that is not white. 
By the end of the film she is a completely transformed and renewed woman and her growth is inspiring. 

Bill Nighy (impossible not to enjoy a film with his hilarious quips in,) is married to Penelope Wilton, a woman who just cannot accept the dreams of galivanting around trying to relive their youth. 
She is constantly putting everybody down and sucking the life and energy dry from Nighy - who eventually sods it and does his own thing. 

Judi Dench plays a recently widowed woman who had never done anything by herself and so she gains independence through her journey, teaching and exploring in India; proving to herself that it is possible to live without her hubby.
It does tend to twinge a few of those sensitive heartstrings...

John Madden (the director,) portrays India to a 'T' - from the hustle and bustle to the cultural aspects; I felt as though I had been there myself. 


This movie is a wonderful reminder that it is never too late to change your life.
It manages to explain over eight life situations which at the time seem impossible to change; yet as the movie unfolds so does the concept of breaking free and living life to the fullest. 

In all honestly this movie did not blow me away right away. I found it extremely long and a little slow -paced - but the messages it left me with afterwards changed my mind.

It was touching and compassionate and just what I needed to be reminded of right now. 

The film actually reminds me of a status I used on Facebook just a few weeks ago:

Let go and grow!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jade…

    I have been following your blog posts and I love them all, your writing really inspires me as your write with such passion. I hope to read all your blog posts in the near future.

    Kind Regards
    Shaun Barnard

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade