Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Shin Splints

Shin Splints are one of the most painful experiences I have had to deal with since entering the world of fitness.

As a qualified personal trainer, I thought I should compile some facts.

Yesterday I woke up and had a shin splint in my right leg, at the side of my shinbone for the first time in months.

Shin Splints are caused from an injury in your tendon and are most commonly found in runners / walkers who have recently done an uphill challenge.
People who have been susceptible to this injury may have been wearing inadequate shoes or simply overused their muscles.
Most people find that shin splints affect them in the front of the outer leg, below the knee. Mine has become prone to the right side of my shinbone (the tibia). 
The sensation is a deep burn or a nerve-wrecking bruise. I often find it feels as though someone is poking directly into a nerve.

The treatment... I have searched high and low for 24 hours.
Firstly, popping back some anti-inflammitories and two disprins.
I also heard heat treatment works wonders so last night I topped up my infamous hot water bottle and slept with that comforting my leg. I woke up this morning feeling much better but the pain is still present.
Shin splints take time to heal.

Good luck and keep fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade