Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chicken Ala King Recipe

This is such a lovely, simple recipe for chicken ala king... It's quite surprising how good it tastes because you really don't use that many ingredients at all! That's one of the beautiful things about this easy dish. (plus, it's kid friendly! All kids I know that have tried it have loved it! So enjoy this yummy recipe!)

What you'll need (serves 4):
  •  Chicken Breasts
  • 1 Red and Green Pepper
  • A pack of your preferred mushrooms (I like portebillini)
  • A big chunk of butter
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • A chicken or vegetable stock cube
  • Milk
  • 3 handfuls of Cake Flour
  • 2 x egg yolks
  • Cream
  • Salt and Pepper

First, put two pans onto your stove. One pan with extra virgin olive oil and another with a big wad of butter. 

Slice your chicken into thin strips and put into the pan with extra virgin olive oil to cook through. 

Thinly slice your peppers and once the butter is melted in your second pan / pot, add them in, sauteing until soft.



While your chicken and peppers are now cooking, keep yourself busy by putting your chicken or vegetable stock cube into a jug and add 150ml of boiling water. Stir until fully diluted. 
In a second jug add in 150ml of milk.


Now slice up your preferred mushrooms and add them into the pepper pot. You'll see due to the butter that the mushrooms will go a beautiful golden color. Let this cook until soft. 




Once this is soft, take the peppers and mushrooms off of the heat. 
Take three handfuls of flour and mix it in with your mushrooms and peppers. It will fast become very stodgy and dry and it will not look very nice. Now put the pot back onto heat and add in half the jug of chicken / vegetable stock and half the jug of milk (make sure no lumps form in the sauce!):




After this, you should get something that looks like this:


Next, add in your chicken all cooked and ready to go! You'll notice the sauce thickening up really quickly now so add in the remainder of the milk and about 50ml of water - mix this is and put the heat down to as low as possible. Grind in some salt and pepper to taste. 





Now, crack your eggs and separate the yolks. On this particular recipe I cracked my egg open to find a double-yolker inside one egg! How special :) 
When your yolks are separated keep them aside in a bowl to add later.
Put a lid over your chicken and sauce mix on the lowest possible heat and let it simmer while you start on your rice. 
If you notice your sauce getting dry while simmering just add little lugs of milk here and there to prevent it. 



When you're rice is done, drain it and take the heat off of the sauce mix. Add in your yolks and a little bit of cream and stir quickly!




Voila!!!

Sprinkle a little bit of fresh parsley over as a garnish and you're ready to serve up! 



Hope you enjoy this delicious, easy and simple chicken ala king recipe! 

Have a great Wednesday evening bloggers'!
post signature

13 comments:

  1. Looks really good Jade:) I'll let you know if I ever decide to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I want to try it, asap! Also, thank you for your super sweet comment.
    Hope you're doing well!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will laugh, but this was what I often craved when I was expecting my oldest son--many years ago! xo T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious and seems simple enough for me, I'll have to add it to my list to try :)

    http://myfifthavenue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a horrible cook. I can't cook for the life of me lol. Great job on this chicken ala king recipe! Looks delicious:)! Thank you so much for visiting my blog:)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never have tried this but it looks amazing, might just have to try!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks absolutely amazing!! im so hungry right now :) great recipe doll! have a fab weekend

    Alexa <3
    http://sleepeatbreathefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks very delicious! I'm following you, hope you will follow back :) kisses:*)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know that looks actually really good and easy to make, I might just try that one for later this week! Thanks for sharing!

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks delicious!
    GIVEAWAY on our blog!!!
    xx

    http://losaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great and perfect for fall.

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really have no talent for coocking :D
    looks too good!!!
    Thank you sooooo much for visiting me, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade