Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Monday, March 9, 2015

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail | Book Review


Meet Cheryl, 5 years ago her mother died of cancer. Once upon a time she'd been the one that seemed to have it altogether, but as she battled through her grief, she went off the beaten track (figuratively and literally). 
Before she makes the wild decision to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (a 1.100 mile hike), Cheryl loses sight of herself as she dapples in adultery, sex and drugs. When the divorce with her husband is finalized, she sets off on her journey, hoping to get back to being the woman that she once was. 
There's one slight hitch though.... she's never backpacked or hiked before. Nor had she trained for this trip. She was not prepared for what she was about to get herself into at all!

Wild has gotten so many mixed reviews and mine is a combination of both good and bad. 
I enjoyed this book. I found the writing excellent, the descriptions beautiful, the honesty and raw quality brutal yet addictive. Yet I found that the book droned on... seemingly never-ending and skipping between the actual story of her hike through the Pacific Crest Trail and her story before it. The story of her failed marriage and heroin addiction, sleeping around with anyone with a penis and the grief over the death of her mother... 
It meshed together well because it helps you to understand how she got to where she is, but I must say that the book was far from what I was expecting.
But that's just the thing isn't it? Judging a book by the cover is one of the biggest crimes in the book world. I walked into my local bookstore and saw a book with a roughed up hiking boot slapped on the front cover and thought, 'Wow! This looks like something I'd love to read!'
And for the record I did love reading it. I related SO much to Cheryl throughout the course of the book. By the third page I was actually convinced this book was written about me! Even with her silly decisions that make you want to shout down into the pages at her... it was just brilliant. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!


This is a REAL book about things that can and probably will go wrong if you decide to venture out into the wild by yourself. It is a book of mistakes and life lessons, of reality and hardships! It is a book about being independent and brave. 


It is a book that will resonate in me for a very, very long time. 







post signature

20 comments:

  1. about you, hahha, well i guess all girls go through the bad patch
    Keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade... the book sounds interesting... the thought of going on 1.100 mile backpack trip and never even training for it makes me just think wow... I couldn't even imagine nor would I want to... it sounds like many life lessons would be learned...

    I hope you had a great International Women's Day yesterday xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard alot about this one<3 It's already added to my TBR section, glad you could relate to it personally, beautiful words :) Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always surprised when people go on these kind of great adventures... hat motivates them, are they running away from something, what are they looking for and why can they not find it in a less dangerous adventure? Those are the kind of questions I ask myself...
    Hey, thank you for your last sweet comment! I cannot hear often enough that I am glowing because I feel so tired and not that pretty these days haha ;) so thank you a lot!
    I would love to hear your opinion on my new post. I think you might agree with my thoughts since you also live a freelancer kind of life (like I do...)
    Sending you much love!
    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely sounds worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and just saw your comment...all I can say is, getting an agent is literally one of the hardest things!! It took me a couple of years and a few different manuscripts to find my match...I wish I had a surefire way for you but a lot of it is timing/luck..I'd suggest honing your query till it sparkles and then maybe joining sites like querytracker.com (it's free!) and getting as much info as possible on agents that rep your genre. also, contests contests contests! they have so many on twitter...keep an eye out for pitmad, PitchSlam, etc and follow as many agents as possible on there to learn what they want ...it's sooo exhausting and hard, trust me i know! but it will happen when the right one connects with your work! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said that it made you think it was about you and when i read the blurb, before you said that, I thought, "Hmmm, Jade likes travelling- I wonder if the character is like her at all!?" x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading book reviews. I find it so interesting to get someone else's perspective on a book (though I have never read this one). I am so guilty of judging books by their covers too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review is interesting, I was thinking about getting this one, but now I'm debating...

    I hope you are having a great week Jade!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this very interesting review. I am not a big on reading novels but actually enjoy reading reviews on them.
    <3 <3 Mahshid مهشید
    http://www.thankstofashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good book. Wasn't there a movie made from it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have no idea how much I tried to find this book! So nice review! kisses

    https://voxofvanity.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds great!
    xx

    http://losaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly need to make more time to read! I've been so overwhelmed with my daytime job, but reading does relax me--no doubt. Hugs on you day, Jade. xo T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh I wanted to see this at the movies but I think I want to read it first before watching. I feel so out of touch myself lately and a good old fashioned adventure is just the cure I need. Until then I think this book shall suffice.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have wanted to read this book for a while now, and want to see the movie afterwards! I can imagine that it might drag on a little bit, but it sounds like an amazing story about Cheryl's journey. Thank you for sharing!

    lovejoanna.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jade, wow, this definitely makes me wanna read this book now!!! I am an avid reader..and I am pretty freaking sure that I would enjoy it! *goes over to apple store*

    http://anshul90.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this

    check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    theluxedition.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. nice blog, follow for follow?

    www.trendyytimes.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade