Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Friday, March 13, 2015

Every Writer Should Have One

I want to take some time today to share with you a bit about the life of a writer. It's really not as glamorous as people make it out to be.




It's manic.

It's messy.


It's chaotic.

It's cluttered. 

There are copious amounts of coffee mugs scattered around every available counter-top and crumpled up papers litter almost every corner. 
Notebooks crammed with notes pile as high as skyscrapers. 
Pens... pens everywhere! The worst part is that most of them have been sucked dry of ink when you find you need them the most!!! 

It's STRESSFUL!!!

To help that stress, some delightfully clever person came up with something I like to refer to as: 
'The Writers Bible.'



Mine may not be the most recent copy but it has helped me out SO much.

Not only does it hold names and contact details of countless literary agents and publishers but also how to contact them. 
It also has info about self-publishing (if you would rather go that route..) as well as explaining legal issues and copyright laws.
It helps you to gain a better understanding of the editing process and offers advice on writing in any genre from romance (my personal fav!), fantasy, thrillers... you name it. 
It caters for plays / poetry and non-fiction writers too.

Embedded image permalink

The book also holds advice on writing things like your dreaded synopsis and cover letter which you need to supply when plucking up the courage to send your manuscript to an agent.

This is why I call it The Writers Bible. 

It's just everything... 
I treasure my copy with it's broken spine and falling out pages from being read so much. 

The year of 2015 brought about the 108th edition of 
The Writers' & Artists' Yearbook!!!!


Ending on a quote Terry Pratchett said about this book, who finally met Death yesterday:

"Much, much better than luck."


post signature

16 comments:

  1. I admire you immensely. I could never write a book, it would be all over the place, just like my thoughts. :)

    xox Have a lovely weekend doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i always thought wristes life is so cool, full of fancy and beautiful locations where they sit and write
    keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I had no idea of this book's existence before so thank you. I have been toying with the idea of coming up with a e-cookbook but honestly had no idea where to start, how to start but I think what really holding me back is the question, who's gonna read it? I'm nobody, just a self trained home cook, so what if a few friends and family members said I should do it, right? I don't know, maybe I'm just getting way ahead of myself. :-/

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh this sounds like The Guide to Literary Agents book...love these books! They're so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really should get a book like that and get a little more serious about my writing...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great book to have !!! I love to write but short prose's are my thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I follow you on gfc #416, follow back?

    http://www.itsmetijana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. the book sounds really helpful! might have to remember it if i ever decide to get serious about writing again (haha) :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice, it sounds great!
    xx

    http://losaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many people have told me to write a book but I don't know where to start. Maybe by reading this.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to invest in that book... maybe then I'd put everything together and write that book I've been wanting to write. The words I want to put in the book is very unorganized...

    I never thought writing was glamorous...but I did think it would be great to have all that free time to write... that was until I realized it is not that easy... it's a lot of hard work piecing a work of writing together...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can actually relate to your situation and the stress as I live with a writer, I make sure to never touch or move anything, as I could contribute to the chaos.

    I hope you had a lovely weekend Jade.

    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy shitball I need to get me a copy of that STAT! And yeah, the life of a writer is nowhere near as glamourous as some (or I) think. I used to envision a life of chasing words to be as effortless as Carrie wearing sky high Manolo's 20 blocks through New York but it's not. And it doesn't exactly mirror Carrie's lifestyle. Not yet. I'm sure it does for some, the ones who "make it" at least I'll keep dreaming it does ;o)

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds a great resource!!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, that's a great book! It has lots of useful information in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always wanted to publish my own novel, I think this might come in handy one day - thank you Jade x
    <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade