Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Monday, April 20, 2015

Latest News r.e Manuscript Submission

Oh boy... it's nearly the end of the month already and I've done absolutely no blogging yet!
The truth is, this is the first morning all month that I actually can - so here it goes.

I don't want to give too much away in this post and spoil my April Monthly Favourites post which is coming up next week (how scary is that!? Where did this month go!?) - but right now I'm nestled in my bed with a hot water bottle at my feet and my Macbook on my lap. 
There's a big cup of Cranberry, Apple and Cinnamon tea in my one hand, as the other finally types this to you. 

When I submitted the first three chapters of my manuscript to some literary agents at the end of March, I really didn't expect much to come of it. 



I don't know if it was that I just didn't want to get my hopes up or if I just had a lot of self-doubt but I just didn't expect things to turn out well. I guess I was bracing myself for that rejection letter I'd already drafted up in my head that came to me in recurring nightmares.  
As I mentioned in my previous post, after sending my chapters off to the agents I started to reread them and started picking up typo's and gremlins that somehow I'd missed before. 
I was absolutely mortified, so every chance I had to spare (during my lunch breaks and after work) were dedicated solely to polishing up my work... again. 



I emailed the agents and begged them to let me resubmit, explaining my dilemma. 
The one response I got scared me even more - they said that if it was just typos then it wouldn't change the outcome anyway. 

In my mind, I was 100% fucked. 

I resubmitted anyway and forgot all about it. Well, that's half true. Of course I knew that my book was now in an agents hands for the very first time... and that's big!!! But, I could do nothing more. The rest was now up to fate. So I carried on with my days, finally taking a break from all the editing.
To be honest, I didn't even want to pick up the book I am busy on, On Writing by Stephen King. 
I just needed a break from the literature world. 

A couple of days after resubmitting the first three chapters of my manuscript, I had my first response. 

I took in this really deep breath and braced myself for what it would say.
I had no high hopes - it wasn't that I didn't think I was good enough, far from it actually. I know my book is good... but an agent liking my book?? That's HUGE and things like that just don't happen to people like me. 
I'm not a 'lucky' person. I've never really won anything in my life until two months ago when I won a years worth of free manicures at a 5 star spa and even then I was like... 'Whaaaaat???'

I read the email as my heart thundered in my chest..... then, at the top of my lungs at 05h30 in the morning I started screaming, "Oh my GOD!!!"
Dad came rushing into the room, thinking another robber was trying to break into the house. 
Tears sprung to my eyes. 
The thing I want most in this world finally happened.... an agent likes my book. 

They like my book so much so that they requested the rest of the manuscript. 






Maybe my luck is changing??? Or maybe my book really is just good.
I was thrilled! 

So now that gets me to today - I sent my full manuscript off to the agent (or angel..) on Friday afternoon and now wait her response. 
After submitting, I finally let my hair down with a (big) bottle of OBS.







I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend watching Hank Moody in Californication, sleeping past 5am, walking on the beach with my dog and having time with my nephew.



I took a well deserved break for the first time in months and feel absolutely rejuvinated and ready to start cracking on my third book...... what it will be, that remains a mystery... for now 

What is to become of my book at the agent right now? I don't know..... but maybe soon, The Other Woman, will be on the bookshelves near you! 

Wish me luck, beautiful souls. 
post signature

23 comments:

  1. all the very best with your book. ur nephew is so cute, i wanna pull his little cheeks
    Kisses,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
    www.indianbeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk I my last post worked But Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!!!! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god! Jade!!!! Congratulations darling! Good for you, that's a HUGE accomplishment right there. :) :) :) ahhhhhh so happy for you, wonderful news love!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Jade, this is wonderful... I will cross my fingers and toes... and say prayers for you... I am sure it is an amazing book. I love the honesty and truthfulness of your blog... I remember reading that one excerpt that you wrote a few months back and I was completely floored with the realness of it... Good Luck xox <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jade,that is WONDERFUL! I will keep you in my prayers but that is SO nice and you deserve this boost in confidence!!!! Yippee (what IS that drink by the way- I know about Savanahs but not that!!!)
    I look forward to this April favourites but know I am gleefully smiling and laughing at your joy- WELL DONE!!!!!!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!

    Join my giveaway and win masterpiece by legendary jewelry designer from Tokyo! http://differentcands.blogspot.com/2015/04/giveaway-worldwide.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing news, congratulations! I a wishing you all the best! I can't wait to be reading your stuff soon!

    Katie
    http://www.theaisleofstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a life ^^

    theautumnstreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good that manuscript is safe now in hands of publishers... :D
    have a good time!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not surprised AT ALL!!!!! You're such a lovely spirit, Jade! It comes right through in your posts. Your blog is one of my favs to visit--surely that all shines through in your MS. I will keep everything crossed for a quick positive response!! CONGRATS on the full request! hugs! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations and yes, sounds like your luck is changing for the better and good for you!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That's amazing! It's only a small step but it's a step in the right direction! I'm happy for you and hope you hear back from this agent very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done girl! Its pretty AWESOME news :D So now is time to make a new awesome book! Good luck and once again congratulation!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! That is amazing that you got such a great response. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yahoo! I am so very happy for you, Jade!!! I purchased King's "On Writing" a while ago, I need to crack it sometime soon. Super-big hugs and congrats my talented friend! xx T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting Jade!!! This is such a big deal, congratulations and I hope you get to really enjoy this major success moment!

    Love,
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that's fantastic. A great achievement and a feather in your cap. You certainly deserve the rest and relaxation after all the hard work and tense moments.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's how it happened for me...she first requested the full, then sent me an email offering to buy it. That was after many, many rejections, though. But it is true that if there are errors, they don't really care. Agents know what can be easily fixed...I've even heard them say they'd rather have a submission filled with typos that had heart than one that was perfectly polished and dull.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely spring post!

    Check my new post http://starlingdays.blogspot.com/2015/04/cutme-studio.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats!!!
    Nice photos :)
    xx

    http://losaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yah!! Jade that's amazing! I remember when I found out my children's short story was the winner and going to be published in an anthology of stories and I toooootally screamed with joy. It was probably one of the best feelings of my life because it was for something I actually LOOOOOVE doing. The book I was published in was local and nothing in comparison to what you're doing. I applaud you and am sending positive vibes aaaaaall the way from Canada lady! They want to read the rest! Exciiiiiiiting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's fantastic news, Jade! How exciting! I'm happy for you. Wishing you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade