Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

About Time | Movie Review



As a hopeless romantic, perhaps I am biased towards enjoying films directed by the man that also did Love Actually and Notting Hill, ie: Richard Curtis.

When I rented this from my local DVD store, I did so for two reasons. The first being that I was in the mood for a mindless rom-com. I was spending the night in by myself and therefore intended on doing so in real stereotypical 'Girl's Night In' style. The second reason was that I believe any movie starring Rachel McAdams is bound to be good.



I know that you should never judge something from its cover - but I did. From the look of the cover it seemed just like the sort of film I fancied watching that night. I didn't even bother reading the back of the box.

I was so pleasantly surprised by not only the witty and dry British humor - particularly from the effortless and brilliant Bill Nighy, but also by the storyline!

Tim Lake (Domhnall Gleeson), learns that from the age of 21, all of the men in his family develop the ability to time travel. There are rules to this though, such as they cannot go forward in time - only backwards. They can revisit their past memories by entering a quiet and dark space such as a closet and clenching their fists tightly.



His whole life, Tim's main goal has been to find love. So when he meets the women of his dreams, quirky and  indie-looking Mary (Rachel McAdams) in a Dating in the Dark restaurant he is thrilled. Little does he know that when he travels back in time in order to help out a friend of his it catastrophically ends in him un-meeting her. Now he has to remember as much as he can from their date in the dark to piece together the pieces of her life and discover how he can meet her again.

Inevitably, he does manage to meet her again after a few incredibly cringe worthy situations he gets himself into. Luckily he is able to go back in time and tweak each moment to perfection which wins her heart and they fall in love. 



This is a wonderfully unique romance with the intriguing addition of sci-fi blended in. 
The most beautiful message is brought to the surface nearing the end of the film as Tim learns to live each day to the fullest - to see and appreciate the smallest intricacies that life has to offer and to never take a single moment for granted.

I truly adored this film and the concept behind it.



post signature

40 comments:

  1. thank you for your comment on my blog!I am following you too!
    http://love4glam3.blogspot.gr/2014/03/review-sunsilkglisspantene.html?showComment=1393934178751#c1665339602565802216

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my husband take this movie out, much to his chagrin. In the end, he cried. You didn't hear that from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that is adorable - wonderful when a man cries from a movie or a book.. shows they have that sensitive side x

      Delete
  3. I would like to see this film!!!!!!!!!
    Kisses darling!!!
    http://expressyourselfbypaolalauretano.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you thought of it when you have seen it :) x

      Delete
  4. Very nice!!! Must See :)

    FOLLOW ME
    http://rimanerenellamemoria.blogspot.de
    https://www.facebook.com/Rimanerenellamemoria
    http://instagram.com/rimanerenellamemoria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I watched this last weekend and totally loved it. I was expecting a mushy love story as well and instead was delighted with the British dry humour. Oh my goodness I love Bill Nighy as well! SPOILER ALERT- I actually was expecting something to go wrong with their relationship, like you always experience in any love story and I was surprised that nothing like that happened. I really enjoyed this movie. I would watch it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you watched this Haley - its a brilliant film and I actually just received it in the post as a present!! :)
      Bill Nighy is like comedy GOLD! xx

      Delete
  6. The second pic is very funny. Looks very good, but I´m not a fan of romatic films. :)
    Fashion Happenss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really just romance though - the comedy in it is brilliant.. and the second pic is just her smiling??? hahaha

      Delete
  7. I saw this movie and ADORED it. I had to hold back tears a few times -- I love how normal they both were.

    I'd love to see more posts from you, so I'm going to follow on GFC. Would love if you could check my site out as well :)

    www.lululinden.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I feel exactly the same way about the couple in the film - it was natural and I caught myself smiling so much at how much I could relate.. it wasn't 'overplayed' it was real!

      Aww thank you lovely Audrey!! I will definitely check out your blog now xxx

      Delete
  8. Sound so cute and a total chic flick! Which I love, of course! :D
    Lovely Review, will have to watch it!
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.blogspot.co.uk 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! It is in our nature :) hehe
      Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  9. Can`t wait to see the movie!
    Great post!
    There is a new cooperation opportunity for popular bloggers like you. You can receive $400 worth dresses, shoes and accesories. For details, read here:
    http://kaiyoaino.blogspot.ro/2014/03/contest-for-bloggers.html

    Also, hope you would join my http://kaiyoaino.blogspot.ro/2014/02/spring-giveaway.html
    It`s open worldwide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I hope that you enjoy the film as much as I did! xx

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a great film, I'll have to add it to my must see list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it when you get to watch it - such a gorgeous story and brilliant cast!

      Delete
  11. Wanna see this movie so bad!
    www.lavishingg.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jade!
    Thanks for doing a review on this!
    My friends have been begging me to watch this film and I think I'm going to see it soon this week!
    Awesome review!
    Http://enticedspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!? xxx

      Delete
  13. Oh, I have to watch this movie ASAP, it sounds so good!

    Diana
    http://www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com
    New Blog Post: [Outfit Idea] A Trendy Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really and truly is a wonderful film! Enjoy it and thank you for the lovely comment.

      Delete
  14. It seems to be a very good movie, I really want to watch it now! x

    camstalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to watch it! Thank you for sharing. I like your blog, maybe you would like to follow each other, let me know;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it.... follow me if you want to read more of what I have to offer.

      Delete
  16. I adore films like this! I'm adding this one to my list! Big hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. this seems like its right up my alley! I love romantic movies :) and rachel mcadams is just a doll! glad you enjoyed it :) definitely have to check it out

    Alexa <3
    http://sleepeatbreathefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats a good romance movie in the evenings and Rachel McAdams is just perfection x

      Delete
  18. So funny I stumbled across your blog, today of all days when last night I just watched this exact movie! Totally agree with you, it's so lovely.

    Krissie x - http://pearlsofstyle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what a coincidence :)
      Welcome! I adored your latest post! x

      Delete
  19. I loved this movie so much!! Especially the message it had at the end. I got emotional with the last scenes with his dad, so touching.

    Great review!! Following you now lady :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, I must admit it was very emotional but in a heart warming way that made it ok :)

      Thank you for your support xxx

      Delete
  20. Great.. thanks. I'll check you out - but if you like my blog, follow because you'll really read and enjoy it regardless.........

    ReplyDelete
  21. This article is lovely.Thanks for a brilliant piece of writing. I feel nursing profession is one of the best profession.



    Svatební Salon & koktejlové šaty Praha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade