Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Monday, November 18, 2013

Breaking Free by Chett Vosloo Book Review



Blurb:

“During Jed Matthew’s final year of university he was diagnosed with a rare skin disorder that the doctors told him was incurable. Rather than face  up to the disorder, Jed tried to ignore it, hoping that it would go away by itself, but it didn’t, it only got worse.
After graduating from university Jed packed a bag and set off on a gap year trip, not realising that he had just begun a journey that would completely change his life. Jed’s gap year opened his eyes to the world of adventure. A 25’000 kilometre bicycle trip around the world and a 1’300 kilometre solo trip by foot through the south of India, were among the adventures he would go on. Yet, no matter where Jed went or how much of the world he saw, the anxiety and fear that he felt over his skin condition shadowed him wherever he went.
Eventually, after years of travelling, Jed happened to come in contact with a spiritual teacher in India who would forever change the direction of his life. This teacher would help Jed to realise that real peace and happiness come from within, and that he would only be able to find true freedom in his life once he had faced his problems head-on. This was the start of Jed’s inner journey.
Breaking Free is the inspiring true story of one man’s desire to transform his life, and to search for what it means to be truly happy and free.”



I cannot commend this book enough!

Breaking Free came into my life exactly when I needed it to - I like to believe that it ‘found’ me.
I was in the yoga studio in the building I work in when I was handed this book by one of the yogi instructors. At first I was mainly drawn to it for the title, ‘Breaking Free,’ because for those of you who I know follow my posts fairly often, you’ll know I’m always on the hunt for new travels and adventures in life.
The second thing that drew me to the book was the yellow italic writing under the title reading, ‘A Journey of Self Discovery.’ Self-discovery is a big part of my life and it always will be. I will never stop growing and finding out new and exciting things out about myself that make me who I am.
Thirdly, the photograph on the cover is of a man with a rucksack slung across his shoulders and he is walking away from the camera, down a path into the unknown.
I know they say you should never judge a book by its cover but I was already sold.

If I wasn’t sold enough by the front cover - when I flipped the book over the read through the little blurb on the back (found above) I was hooked!
The book is by far THE best, most enlightening book that I have ever had the privilege to read. The writing itself isn’t exactly AMAZING. It’s as though the author is having a conversation with you, yet to me that really only adds to the beauty of it.
Regardless of whether the writing is fantastic or not, it is the messages within the pages and between the words, nestled in each chapter that make this incredible true story what it really is – and what it really is, is an absolute masterpiece.
I found that I had to put the book down fairly often because I was getting so many messages and lessons from the author’s words that I completely overwhelmed with the growth within myself as I read it. I had to take the time to just sit there and take the words in, go for a walk and breathe in the new awakening each and every time it happened.
The eerie thing about it is that I related to it almost too much – to the extent that I started to believe, in a really strange way, that this book was actually written for me! Some people say that about certain movies that the main character is going through exactly what they are in their life and they feel the movie is based on their life. I always thought it was just a silly comment people made the second they could relate to something – that was until I read this book and entirely understood where these people had been coming from.

In the book, Jed Matthews (the main character / author) suffers from panic attacks – which I do as well. It was amazing to have it described and explained in such a way that I totally related to that I literally got tears in my eyes and a little bit shaky.
He also has certain issues about himself that he was finding hard to deal with, as am I. He was diagnosed with a skin-disorder that the doctors’ told him was incurable and I also have one or two things that plague and bother me about myself. It’s not incurable skin-conditions but they are things that for years made me miserable and self-conscious about myself. I guess everyone has them right?

He goes on a spiritual journey for years, which I have been doing myself as much as I can. I’ve explored and learnt in the temples in Thailand and hopefully next year at some stage I’ll be going to China where a few of my friends are already meditating down the road from their apartment in a temple.

His travels and spiritual journey inspired me beyond belief but throughout the entire book, there was one paragraph in one specific chapter that took my breath away and changed my life. That might sound dramatic… but it’s meant to.
Chapter fifteen, page 106, the first paragraph… in just over 100 words the author summed up absolutely everything that I have been feeling for so long.
He writes about how to transform into who you can and want to be and to have true inner awakening, you need to be away from all of those people that know you the best. This is because when you are around the people who know you so well you automatically act a certain way around them. You develop masks that you wear around certain people and for inner awakening and to blossom into what your body and soul wants to become you need to break free from all attachments and familiarities.
Anyway… I am not going to repeat him – his words are perfect and you just need to get your hands on a copy of it!
I have a friend in Canada called Adrian and I told him about the book as soon as I got it and he downloaded it and is starting to read it this weekend.

The reason I say this book came into my life right when I needed it to is because although having read the blurb on the back, I had no idea what sort of things Jed would do with his life while traveling. Just before finding this book I met someone and we gelled straight away. He told me about this TEFL online course you can take and go overseas to teach children English and he went on to say that the places he is interested in going to is China, Vietnam, Beijing, India, South America, Bali… all in the rural areas to get a real slice of what the real country is like – away from all of the touristy attraction places.
Within moments I knew this was my calling and exactly what I was supposed to do – so when I started reading this amazing book my dreams to travel and teach English overseas was only fueled by the author’s words as it turned out he was teaching English to children in Korea!
That being said, you may have seen my first ever ‘Vlog’ I posted up just the other day… if not, here’s the link to it… try not to laugh – blush:

http://bohemianmuses.blogspot.com/2013/11/my-first-vlog-sideways-movie.html


I mentioned there that now I would love to work on the ski slopes. At first I thought Austria or Switzerland would be amazing but seeing as I’ve been to both of those places already, my hearts fairly set on Canada now. As I have a few friends in Canada that would be pretty perfect too! 


I’m getting off-track now so it’s time to wrap this post up with one more quick thing…

One of the nice things about Breaking Free (from a woman’s perspective) is that it goes in depth into the male psyche. I’d often wondered where the line is drawn between how females think VS males and in this book it definitely clarified that men’s minds are a lot more sexually driven. I’m not saying that woman’s minds don’t think about sex on a regular basis, we do.. we are sexual beings by nature! But men could look at a woman walking down the street and get a mindful of sexual fantasies about how his evening’s sexual endeavours would play out with this random woman that crossed his path. Whereas, in my mind, I see a good looking man and think, ‘Hmm, wow.. he’s gorgeous!’ and then I get on with the day or maybe have a sneaky little fantasy about nothing more than getting to know him… the male would go a step further in a fantasy…therefore crossing the line on which males and females thinking-trains function. 



Please get your hands on a copy of this book guys.
It awakened me. 
Inspired me. 
Taught me. 
Gave me growth. 
Showered me with understanding and peace. 

post signature
Enjoy it – it’s a one in a million. 


15 comments:

  1. Oh wow, it sounds like an amazing book Jade! I love anything that helps me reflect, grow and development. I will for sure be adding this to my read list. Thanks for sharing!

    http://myfifthavenue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I'd be so so thrilled to have this book reach all of my readers in the blogging world! It's a great thing to be able to promote a fellow South African's book to the world!! Let me know what you think of it xxxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for recommendation!

    http://www.minsbeautyequipment.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only my pleasure Mingaile! Love to recommend good books to people! x

      Delete
  3. Sounds great, might have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at "yoga!" ;) Self-discovery is the path I'm on as well--not a bad one, is it? Sounds like a fab read, Jade. Adoring the candlelight pic above--great way to read--or do anything--by candlelight. :) Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Tina! Lovely comment. Glad you feel the same way about yoga, self-discovery and candles!! We're two peas in a pod ;) heheh xxx

      Delete
  5. hey, nice blog! would you like to follow each other?
    just let me know
    kisses, Marlena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting...I know there are many similar books out there, talking bout self-discovery and making a trip to India look like a dreamy adventure...when in reality things are a lot different. It´s good "to find yourself" whatever that may be but trust me you don´t have to travel the world to do that.

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is different and unique as you can see in the blurb. It has his own ordeals that he has to go through and face.. the skin condition he is trying to combat and if you just read the book you'll see what a gem it really is!

      He didn't go on this journey to find himself - it just so turns out that it taught him so much about himself that he refers to it in that way.

      You are correct that you don't NEED to travel to find yourself but if you CAN and you WANT to - then why not!? It's a blessing!! :)

      x

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks love - it really is an incredible and inspiring true story.

      Delete
  8. Why do you call him Jed Matthews when his reàl name is Chett Vosloo, it is a very enlightening book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade