Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Angels by Marian Keyes - Book Review

Marian Keyes - Angels 
Book Review 



BLURB:

"After catching her husband having an affair and being fired from her job, Maggie Walsh suddenly finds her perfectly organized existence has become a perfect mess. She decides, for the first time in her life, to do something daring -- and flees to her best friend, Emily, in the faraway wonderland of Los Angeles. In this mecca of tanned, beautiful bodies, unsvelte, uncool Maggie is decidedly a fish out of water. Yet, overnight, she's mixing with film folk, pitching scripts, even experimenting with sex -- and discovering that the end of a marriage is not the end of the world."

*

This is quite an old Marian Keyes novel that I've had hibernating in my bookshelf for quite some time, wedged between a copy of One Day by David Nicholls and The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

I eventually picked it up when I had absolutely nothing else to read. It was my last resort. It wasn't that I don't like Marian Keyes as an author.. in fact I thoroughly enjoyed her novel: Sushi For Beginners a number of years ago.

The reason why I was a bit more hesitant to pick it up was because it was about marriage, which lets face it, is a pretty sensitive subject for me after my heartbreak with married man that claimed to be some amazing Christian. What bolluck's that was! Anywho....

Also.. the cover looked naff. So it just didn't really appeal to me at all.


However, I was surprised when I cracked open the spine, to find myself really enjoying it.
I've been on a bit of a spiritual journey for the last year or so, so novels about Hollywood and 'la la la land' haven't exactly been interesting me so sometimes when it went on about clubbing and drinking and the overall glitz and glam of Hollywood I was tempted to throw it away because quite frankly I felt like I was gaining nothing from it... but I guess sometimes you need to read something a little bit more light-hearted... which is exactly what this book was.

I also really didn't connect much with the main character. She annoyed me a lot and I felt that she was actually quite nasty.

I fell HEAD OVER HEELS in love with her husband... as many did with Edward Cullen from Twilight...
Garv from Angels was my fictional lover for the past month. Mmmm.... Pure delight!

If there's one thing I can suggest... if you are going through a rough time in a relationship, married or not, push through this books weak spots because right at the end is a really beautiful (somewhat cliche) message that really just gives you hope and picks you up.

I'm happy I read it... it's a proper feel good girly book.

Enjoy!

post signature


15 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than a good read! Love the fab pics, and this sounds like a good book to curl up with on an afternoon at home. Hugs, Doll! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like light, good reads! They make for a good distraction. Also, you look look stunning in that picture!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only a few books on such , heart-felt topics because all I read is some comedy or mystery . I am currently reading Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number and it has left me high hoped in just middle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing better than a good book :)

    xoprimaxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read a lot of books, but if I was to pick up a book, it would be something "girly". I like feel-good movies and books. Life is too short to watch nastiness when you want to relax.

    http://www.minsbeautyequipment.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading the book in my shoes about the founder of Jimmy Choo it is a really fun read

    Ali of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  7. i used to read alot mostly horror books but now i see book i will feel sleeply
    rainxdropz.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sucker for a good girly book. And oh, did I ever fall for Edward while reading Twilight. I loved every word written about that vampire.. I can't explain why, I just did..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read a book for leisure in a while, but when I need a good girly book, I'll keep this one in mind!

    Mili from Call me, Maeby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might have to look for this, trusting your judgement!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are GORGEOUS! And that dress is so dreamy!
    I'm in need of a new book so I'll definitely be checking this out! Sounds SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing post and dress!

    GIVEAWAY on our blog: http://losaway.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/rosewholesale-giveaway.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dress !

    http://izzatypink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade