Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Monday, May 21, 2012

I Remember You by Harriest Evans - Book Review


There are not enough hours in the day for all the books that I want to read or the places that I want to go.
There are not enough hours in the day for all the things I want to learn or delight my five basic senses with.

However, when I do have the time to snuggle up with a good book, I’d like to think I’d be reading something that helps me to appreciate the English Language more than I already do.


Years ago, when I was still in training to become a personal trainer, my teacher and friend, Brendon Andrade, explored the shelves of a local bookstore with me one fine day.
I stumbled across a feminine looking paperback novel, a mixture of purples, peaches and pinks as the cover with bold italic writing scribbling the title, ‘I Remember You.’
It is written by a woman by the name of Harriet Evans.
I’m not sure if she just chose a really bad editor or if she became a published author by fluke, but the grammar and a lot of the writing is actually appalling. If this is what is getting published these days, then there must be hope for the likes of my little novella! 

I was attracted to this novel as it
A) was a story of a heartbroken woman (relatable for me at that stage of my life as I had recently ended a three and a half year relationship with my high-school sweetheart)
B) it involved Italy (the one place in this world that I am DYING to travel to. Not to mention it is where my novella is set…)
and
C)  The novel was set in Langford, which is where Jane Austen resided once upon a time (and everyone knows I am her biggest and most devoted fan…) the book was filled with plentiful delicious detail about her and her beautiful town which just warmed me entirely and made me smile as each page passed.
 
It was basically the story I had dreamed of being my own.
It was so relatable in fact that at some stages in this book I was actually uncannily reminded of myself.

The story line, for me, was fabulous. It was the only thing that kept me turning the crisp pages as alas the poor grammar and spelling errors in a Harper published book is so disappointing!!!

Step it up guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade