Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Holy Cow: A Modern Day Dairy Tale by David Duchovny | Book Review

Image result for david duchovny holy cow

Image result for 5 stars
5/5 stars!!!

This is a eminently comical book filled with wise-cracks and wit but has surprisingly and effortlessly delivered some really important messages about acceptance, culture, mutual respect and understanding. 
It is a reminder that animals are not the mindless beasts purely there to serve and feed us as many of us in the human race seem to think they are. 
One thing that our MC, Elsie the cow, says in this book really stood out to me. She said something along the lines of: humans shouldn't have the privilege of being called an animal because we don't deserve it. She says that she thanks every blade of grass when she's grazing in the field. 
That's respect for nature at its finest and it is how many of us forget to be. While getting that point across, Duchovny doesn't do it in a preachy way. It's lighthearted and it's FUNNY. 
It's a completely crazy (yet oh so very true!) globe-trotting story that requires you to leave your sense of reality behind. 
Image result for david duchovny holy cow
This is a bizarre tale of an American cow who sneaks out from her pasture to go flirt with the bulls but instead ends up discovering the horrors of the slaughter house. Planning her escape to a safer life in India where cows are holy and worshiped, she embarks on a journey with two unlikely companions, a pig called Shalom, who has recently converted to Judaism and Tom the Turkey who can't fly. 
The writing is absolutely fantastic. I am so impressed with David Duchovny as an author (and not just because I think he's a bloody gorgeous and extremely talented actor...). His writing is daring and I just loved it!!! I found myself full of laughter throughout this book. 

Favorite Quote from the Book:

"So I guess it's not so important that dreams come true, it's just important that you have a dream to begin with, to get you to take your first steps."

I listened to this on Audible and absolutely adored David Duchovny's narration of his work. I think every book should be narrated by Duchovny #justsaying ;)



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade