Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Stumbling My Way Through Life One Glass of Wine at a Time

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Rose Water as Toner

Back in 2010 - 2011 when I did my make-up artistry degree, I was given a big bottle of divine smelling rose water from my tutor and told that it works as a fantastic toner.
 
I'd never really toned or done much else than cleanse my face with simple, plain water and cheapie moisturizer and my skin was always fine... so needless to say I was slightly sceptical.
 
That same bottle found home in my bathroom after that, never being put to use. Last night however, while unpacking some bathroom boxes I hadn't gotten around to doing yet, I hauled it out. Curious, I poured a bit of the rose water onto a cleansing wipe and applied it over my skin.
Instantly my skin felt soothed, revitalized and wonderful.
 
I decided to give you all a little bit of info about the benefits of rose water and using it as a toner... because I really enjoyed using it last night!

I hope you enjoy my little lesson for the day!

Rose water is quite literally a by-product of rose oil, distilled from fresh rose petals being put into water.
It has many benefits, from anti-aging qualities and tightening the skin pores. It also works as a fantastic moisturizer.
It is a brilliant cleanser, (I discovered this last night after my reular routine of splashing some water on my face...) it removed any excess make-up and dirt that I couldn't remove alone and was surprised by how much it did!

Make your own rosewater (which is far more pure and beneficial than what you can buy in a pharmacy) by simply putting rose petals into a jar with water and leaving it in the sun for a few days. This also looks really pretty outside your house or on a windowsill too so it's a win-win.




Rose water for hair is also a surprisingly great concept. Rose water is extremely nourishing for the scalp and works at strengthening the root hairs. It promotes hair growth, (and if you're a regular reader you'll know I'm a woman on a mission regarding hair growth right now!!!) and can even be used as a natural form of hairspray! It assists with the prevention of hair loss and can EVEN work as a great conditioner, as it stops dry and frizzy hair from entering the picture.

I'm quite sold on rosewater, I'm not sure about you... but just in case, here are a few other great uses for rosewater that I discovered online to win you over:

  • Drinking Rose Water - works as an anti-depressent and a (mild) sedative. Mix rose water syrup into a cup of creamy, cold milk and enjoy as it boosts your body with all of the essential vitamins it contains as well as the anti-oxidants, tannins and flavonoids. It assists with tension and nerves, which I am going to have to try as I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks.
  • Medicinal Uses - Rose Water has many healing qualities and works as an anti-inflammatory as well as an anti-septic.
  • Eye Mask - for tired, puffy eyes, place a cloth dipped in rose water over your eyes and rest while it works its magic.
  • Acne - Reduce the redness and swelling of acne by placing rose water on the troubled area.
 
Let me know if you try this amazing idea out!
 
J
     

20 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the idea of using natural products that actually have benifits. Thanks for the comment! I am following on GFC now, feel free to follow back if you like :)

    Kristine
    www.pugglewearsprada.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loves this! I always use rose water for a toner in the summer <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea i will have to find some rose water!

    http://dotofdaisy.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know it did all that!! I have heard of it being used in tea (and even in cakes) but never heard of it used as skincare.

    I will have to try this!

    Janine xx
    Bake, Glue and Trend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love itt, thank you for sharing :)
    xoxo
    parisian-fairytale.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. This is great idea.

    XX, IamJenniya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow never knew that rose water was so beneficial! Great tips and what a good idea to make it yourself. Definitely will try it out when they start blossoming in my garden!

    xo, styledelight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving me a comment! (I'd loved to be in London for my birthday!!)
    I've heard of rose water before, but I've never tried it.
    Now I have to!!

    I am following you on both Bloglovin and GFC, I really enjoyed reading your blog.

    xx, A!
    glimpsesofa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That´s an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing :)

    GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG

    xo

    glamDevils

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've convinced me!! i have used it before as a toner, but had no idea you could use it on hair, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely want to make some now! I have heard great things about rose water as a toner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the detailed information about rose water!! how long can you keep this homemade water? I use such water on my face, body and hair (for split ends). I love it!
    Now I use a rose water by Melvita http://84amina.blogspot.com/2012/09/melvita-ecological-and-organic-beauty.html#more
    when it's over I try by your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Mum swears by rose water, it's great stuff!!

    Lx

    www.whatlisawrote.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a miracle product! AND it looks pretty too =) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! I've tagged you for the Liebster award! Check out my blog for the information!
    Jess xx

    www.thelittlethingblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I need to start using a less harsh toner on my face. I've just bought Elemis, a step up from Boots Botanics range.

    Have a Happy Valentine's evening babes - I know we had similar things planned x

    http://forcailini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really great idea, I need to try this

    A little bit Unique

    x

    Oh and I'm running a giveaway, if you want to pop over and have a nosey! Giveaway here


    ReplyDelete
  18. i am on a mission to grow my hair too it seems to be just stuck at the same length for a while so i am wiling to try rose water! thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like I need to take a bath in rose water!! I need to give this stuff a go. Great post and I loooove your blog :)


    Fleur-Light.blogspot.com
    Fleur-Light.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - if you supply your blog page I will be sure to check it out and leave a comment in return!

Jade